10 Things That Make SIBM Bengaluru Special
It is a cold Sunday morning here in this part of our country and I sit right in the middle of the amphitheatre of my college, sipping a cup of hot tea and enjoying the view. It almost feels as if I’m not right in the hub of a metropolitan city, pursuing the most rigorous course of my academic career yet and constantly striving to meet deadlines. Almost.
As is with every major turning point in all our lives, those decisions are always a mix of carefully thought out steps and giant leaps of faith. Largely the latter. Keeping that in mind, let me attempt to tell you in 10 points why I personally believe in the institution that stands tall – SIBM Bengaluru and why I believe joining this academic institute will be one of those decisions you look at fondly in the years to come.
1. Education with a Quantitative Difference: Right from the day you step into its premises, this institute helps you start thinking from a quantitative, specific and result-oriented point of view. You will hate it for robbing you off your sleep but thank this rigor sometime in the future when you are the only member of your team who can provide your management with a clear and achievable strategy.
2. Bloomberg Terminal: From last year on, the college has administered the use of a Bloomberg Terminal for academic and research purposes. This has not only given us an edge over other top-tier B-schools but is fascinating in the sense that all of our students have an immense database of important, useful, global information at their disposal at the click of a button. It is understood that projects here have become a lot more challenging, interesting and fun to complete – and the deadline doesn’t seem that daunting after all!
3. Pet Therapy: Alright, enough with the rhetoric, theoretical plus points. The nerd section needs to take a backseat and all the pet lovers – come right to the front! Now that you’re away from home and are missing your fur balls of happiness, we help you with this too! For every scratch, bark and ‘fetch’ command you miss – we bring to you our in-house Labradors- Birr and Baht. After a long day filled with assignments and presentations, those puppy eyes and tummy-rub sessions are sure to bring a smile to your face.
4. We are living in a ‘Real-World’: Who hasn’t heard of the Mecca of simulations, research, case studies and a million other management related hacks? Our college has access to simulations and case studies straight from Harvard Business School. It would be an understatement if I said that the knowledge I have imbibed from these has helped me garner a much more pragmatic, realistic and optimistic view of my time and course. These simulations help us understand the realistic challenges faced by multi-national companies all over the world and add spice to the classroom environment when students debate over the possible solutions to the problems presented in the case study.
5. Mentors, not just Professors: The reason for our superior growth holds a strong base in how strong our fundamentals have been and how sturdy our foundation actually is. Here at SIBM Bengaluru, we are taught by stalwarts from within and outside the industry. Our faculty consists of inspiring academicians and well-honed veterans from the corporate world. This mix of astute theoretical knowledge combined with practical knowledge – is what creates remarkable business leaders out of us, the day we step out.
6. The Big ‘I’: When you talk about infrastructure – you name it, the college has it. From facilities that span over a wide variety of sports, to top-notch classrooms (where you’ll probably be spending 80% of your day. I’m kidding, relax. 70%) and a well-equipped library along with dedicated spaces for learning and research – every feasible infrastructural need felt by a student has been catered to.
7. Avenues for Corporate Engagement: The most sought after reward that any B-school has to offer is its placement opportunities. I can confidently vouch for the fact that SIBM B has managed to attract and engage the biggest corporate conglomerates. These engagements help in the holistic development of our students, which is showcased at B-school events, summer internships, and corporate competitions and so on.
8. Awaken Your Inner Child: Utthaan is one event, with a bifocal purpose – to provide a day of fun for the underprivileged children of the society and also to help budding managers understand the importance of compassion. So tell me how long it has been since you felt like a kid – 5 years? 10 years? Forever? This event is guaranteed to wake the inner child in us and make us feel wonderful again.
9. TEDxSIBMBengaluru: Yes, you’ve read it right! SIBM Bengaluru has been organizing TEDx talks at the college premises since 2012. At TEDxSIBMBengaluru, the college envisions that the cumulative effect created by the speeches, videos, and interactions with the eminent personalities combines to spark profound discussions and inspire minds. TEDxSIBMBengaluru has witnessed a transformation through the years and the eminence of the speakers has only surged. The mere experience of organizing the event let alone listening to the talks gives students an unparalleled experience.
10. 360-Degree: Although the college is an academic body, it has always looked at development in multiple angles and in all arenas. One of the main standing pillars has been a holistic, 360-degree development agenda. When you are a student here, it is safe to make an assumption that you will be given plenty of opportunities to prove your worth within the corporates and also within the sacrosanct circle of your peer B-schools. The college prides on the fact that it is student-centric and is driven by student committees and clubs which contribute to learnings outside the classroom. You will also learn to overcome the challenges in being a leader, managing time and overcoming your differences with your teammates. In a sense, SIBM B starts preparing your multitasking skills and priming you for the business world before you even know it!
So post the rigor of the entrance exam you’ve already given, here’s wishing you all the luck in the world to step into the much spoken about ‘MBA Universe’ here at SIBM Bengaluru. Gear up for the two best years of your life, be prepared to leave with the best version of yourself, make the most of the hours in your day and pass on this exact advice to the generations that follow!
About the Author:
Written by Meher Legha (Batch 2016-2018)
Edited by Leona Jennifer (Batch 2016-2018) & Yuvraj Gogia (Batch 2016-2018)