CAT 2016 Criteria And Percentiles Required For Top B-Schools By Indrajeet – CEO Of iQuanta
Indrajeet Singh, the CEO of iQuanta gave a new direction to the world of online teaching where the doubts gets cleared within seconds or minutes using the previously neglected medium, Facebook as his platform. He started iQuanta last year, and it delivered splendid results in its very first year with two 100%ilers, sixteen 99.6+ %ilers & around 30 final converts from IIM A,B,C and XLRI. iQuanta is mostly about unconventional methods and concepts which aren’t taught in conventional coaching centres and his free peer learning platform i.e. CAT Preparation group is 93k members strong and is highly active – https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rockthecat/
After the IIM A criteria got out, there are few calculations I did regarding the percentiles required to get there.
Earlier there used to be top 50 or 1% calls profile based , so 50*6= approx 300 general calls profile based and 270 calls based on CAT Score (Total seats being 195 for generals, total calls 570 around, Approx 1 : 3 ratio is the Conversion : Call Ratio).
This year as it has increased to top 100 or 5% calls profile based, so approx 100*6=600 calls profile based and 200 (I’m guessing it to be) CAT score based (So making it total 800 calls and 1:4 Conversion : Call Ratio).
Based on the above calculations, the following can be the percentiles required for IIM A, while for other IIMs , it nearly remains the same every year.
- IIM Ahmedabad: General engineer M/F if 10,12 > 90 and grad> 85, it requires around 99.55x, if any one of 10,12 or grad is below that, it requires > 99.9x, if two or more components are below that, you are unlikely to get a call unless you have nearly topped the exam. (Top 5%)
From commerce background it will require >= 98.5x if the person has good acads, other disciplines will require 98+
If graduation is below 7.8 there is almost no chance for GEM/F.
- IIM Bangalore: The average profile across all boards and disciplines is 10th, 12th > 85, grad> 85, percentile > 99. The higher the graduation or any of 10th or 12th, the lesser is the percentile required. If you have > 95 in grad, you will need only 95 percentile to get a call. if you have one low component in acads, a percentile above 99.5 might compensate for that.
Also, if the workex is >2 years chance of converting the call increases hugely.
- FMS: Get > 99.5 if you are a guy and >99 if you are a girl because the interview weightage is minimal and almost a formality. People get calls from the higher 98’s but they are very unlikely to finally convert.
- IIM Lucknow: General male ideally > 99.2x with decent acads. For females > 98 with decent acads, the higher the workex, the lesser the percentile required.
- IIM Calcutta: General male with 10th, 12th > 80 requires 99.46 and general female with same acads requires around 98.9. Any component below 80 means you will require above 99.85 and 2 components below 80 has severely less chances.
- IIM Kozhikode: General male > 98.5, for females > 97. However most converts will tend to have a score between 99 to 99.5. Poor acads can prevent you from getting a call.
- Acads matter more for A, B and K and percentiles more for C, L and FMS.
- Top B schools which gives considerably low weightage to acads :
IIM Calcutta, IIM Lucknow , MDI Gurgaon, NITIE Mumbai, IIFT Delhi, TISS Mumbai.
- 0 weightage to acads : NMIMS Mumbai, FMS Delhi , XLRI Jamshedpur.
- It is very important that you know your targets and manage your expectations accordingly so that once you manage to score a particular percentile, you are not disillusioned by the calls you get and it does not hurt your GDPI preparation. Also, when you know what you are targeting, it is easier to sharpen your axe accordingly.
Note: These are just the safest assumptions and are liable to change or vary depending on many factors.
A clear picture and plan goes a long way in achieving one’s goal. All the best for your preparation.