Which of the new IIM should I choose?
IIM Ranchi, IIM Rohtak, IIM Udaipur, IIM Trichy, IIM Kashipur, IIM Raipur. Which one is better and why?
Are new IIMs at par with Tier 1 Non-IIM b-schools?
Being a student at IIM Trichy, I can talk about IIM T to give you an overall idea about our institute.
- Campus, Facilities and Campus Life: We are in the permanent campus since August 2017. The campus is spread on a sprawling 175 acres of land and is only 13 kilometers away from the Trichy International Airport. Technologically equipped smart classrooms, elegantly furnished single occupancy air-conditioned hostel rooms, a world-class library, 24x7 Wi-Fi, are some of the noteworthy features of our new campus.
- Location: Trichy,is a major tier II city and is the fourth largest municipal corporation and the fourth largest urban agglomeration in the state in which we are in. For third year in a row (2017 reports), Trichy remains on the list of the top 10 clean cities in the country. The institute is around 20 minutes by road from the airport and around 45 minutes from the railway station. Direct flights to most of the metro cities are available and international connectivity is also very good - It has daily non-stop flights to Dubai, Sharjah, Colombo, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore as well.
- Faculty: We have a very strong permanent faculty base which most of the B-Schools lack these days, especially the other new IIMs. We have the best of faculties among the IIMs and all the other leading B-Schools in the country. We have guest faculties from the industry as well and there's something called "Distinguished Guest Lecture Series" which provides a window to the students of IIM Trichy to gain a holistic view towards the corporate, environment, and society on a global scale.
- Placements: The placement scenario at IIM T has been great and figures suggest that it is one of the best new IIMs in terms of providing quality placements. It's not just about the companies but also the kind of roles that are offered are much better than those provided in the comparable institutes. I believe we're the first and only institute among the second generation IIMs where investment banking roles have been offered to our students.
- Ranking: We have been constantly placed on the higher side in any B-School ranking lists by reputed and leading dailies, sites and education portals. As per the NIRF rankings by MHRD, Govt of India, our institute is ranked 15th among all the management institutes in the country.
- Sports Facilities: A state-of-the-art sports complex with all kinds of indoor games and a swimming pool is a part of the campus. At this moment we do have facilities for football, cricket, pool, carrom, table tennis. The Sports Committee at IIM Trichy hosts regular events like "Aarambh" which is an intra-institute sporting event, IIM Trichy Football, and Cricket Leagues - ITFL and ITCL. Also, if you're in IIM Trichy and have interest in sports you'll get a chance to be a part of the team representing your institute in "Sangram" which is a Sports Meet of the IIMs in the South - IIM Bangalore, IIM Kozhikode, IIM Trichy, and IIM Vishakhapatnam.
- Clubs and Committees: They aim at ensuring the well-being of the students during their stay at the institute. We have both academic and non-academic clubs which ensure that the learning experience here is coupled with the adequate amount of extra-curricular activities.
- Student Exchange and International Relations: Our partner institutes are all top class institutes having the best of rankings in the respective countries. There are many other programmes related to the International Relations apart from the Student Exchange Programme like the Indian Youth Delegation programme, an elective course called International Business Practice, and "International Week" - a first of its kind initiative among all the IIMs.
- B-School Fest and Management Conclave: Dhruva, IIM Trichy's flagship Business-Cultural Fest, is an amalgamation of innovative management contests and a myriad of cultural events. Our flagship Management Conclave Nishtha is a two-day spearheading initiative which facilitates interaction between experts, academicians, industry stalwarts, business leaders, entrepreneurs, and current management students.
- Festivals and Events: The Cultural Committee at IIM Trichy makes sure that each and every student feels closer to home and also ensures blending of cultural instincts with enthusiasm of our students to bring out events of scintillating color and radiance on the horizon of IIM Trichy. Festivals and events like Holi, Ganesha Chathurti, Diwali, Onam, Dussehra, Dandiya Night and Sanskriti which is the war of sections are celebrated every year.
- Corporate and B-School Competitions: Our institute is one of the very few institutes which are allowed to take part or host top corporate competitions like Godrej Loud, Mahindra War Room, Deloitte Maverick, Yes Bank Transformation, Cognizant CXO, Loreal Brandstorm, etc. and we have students and alumni who have won numerous accolades for winning various corporate and B-School competitions.
- Linkages: The institute has associations with CII, AIMA, MMA and PMI.
Still, I would suggest you go through the institutes' respective websites, compare them on various parameters and then take a call.
To answer your second query - I would say, yes, they are certainly at par with the tier 1 Non-IIM B-Schools. The kind of exponential growth the new IIMs have shown in the past 4-5 years is worth a mention - they have proved their mettle in every parameter and in this very short period, people are comparing them with the age old private B-Schools set up 30/40 years ago. Please go through this article for more information - New IIMs: The Most Underrated Institutes | Myths Versus Facts
Choose wisely. All the best!
The question that which new IIM is better or what is the preference order among all the new IIMs is quite subjective. Every person has its own personal choices like the field of Interest, location, faculty, placements, campus etc which help him/her to decide which IIM to prefer. So go through the website of each new IIM and check out their placement reports, roles offered, faculties, programs(Student Exchange, International Business Exposure) to offer etc which will help you to decide which IIM to opt. To be honest, all the new IIMs are very much comparable, therefore do your own research and decide yourself.
Your second question is also very subjective. Let me explain, If you consider MDI, IIFT, JBIMS, XLRI then no doubt new IIMs are far behind as compared to them. But suppose you are getting HR in MDI or XLRI and you don't want to do MBA in HR. then probably you will think of joining new IIMs. This is just an instance and can be more as per individual.
So first, check what all options you have in your kitty and weigh all the aspects which you consider important after proper research, then only decide where you want to go.
Hope this Helps!