If there were pundits scaring you about the state of the economy and whether there were jobs out there in the market, XLRI Jamshedpur responds with resounding success. Not only has XLRI Jamshedpur managed to place students in companies with great reputation but also there is great diversity of options across the different functions. As per the placement committee of XLRI Jamshedpur, 98% of the batch was placed by the end of the 3rd day of the Placement Week. There is no doubt that XLRI Jamshedpur remains one of the few most sought after campuses for recruiters and it manages to do so well despite the goegraphical disadvantage year after year.
(Three things to note when you look at the report below : 1) It includes companies that offered PPOs. Hence, they may not have visited the campus during finals but students from the Class of 2012 have offers from those companies based on their good performance during the summer of 2011. 2) XLRI generally does not give a BM/PMIR split and that makes it difficult for one to know whether all students can apply to all companies. 3) Consulting firms like AonHewitt, Mercer and Hay Group are mainly in the HR space. They have been classified as Business Consulting but we would recommend readers to exercise caution and check with industry experts and current students of XLRI to get a clear idea of the roles.)
Some of the highlights that made us sit up and take notice:
1) Consulting : This is one function where XLRI seems to have grown by leaps and bounds. Given the weakness in the finance sector, in general consulting companies across campuses are taking advantage and netting the best talent. Big names seemed to have made multiple offers. McKinsey & Co. seems to have made a return. BCG has now become a regular recruiter with 4 students joining BCG this year. Accenture, Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst & Young etc. are all there.
2) General Management – The options just keep growing each year for students. It is a great sign as general management profiles offer a good well-rounded experience early in the career.
3) Finance – There has not been a huge hit despite the downturn and Finance enthusiasts definitely had enough options. Standard Chartered has also offered apart from the regular IG roles, a prestigious Singapore based role generally offered only to Ivy league schools.
4 ) PPOs – Almost 1 out of 3 students already had a job before final placements started. This talks very highly of the quality of work put in by XLRI students during their summer internships and also the brand value XLRI enjoys among top recruiters in the country.
5) Novartis continued its tradition of recruiting from XLRI, for its Basel, Switzerland based role. The only Asian school Novartis recruits from for this role.
6) The fact that companies like Goldman Sachs and Airtel made double digit offers points to the fact that XLRI alumni network is extremely strong and over the years XLRI graduates have done very well in the industry.
7) The practise of giving out the Mean Dometic Salary is very welcome and 15.5 lacs + average CTC for 50% of the batch is a wonderful statistic putting XLRI in the top league of schools in India.
If we had 1 grouse it would just be that XLRI should change it policy and release BM and PMIR(HRM) placement reports separately. It will make career decisions for a lot of aspirants much easier.
Detailed domain wise report is as given in the tables below :
No one at XLRI Jamshedpur can complain about lack of options when it comes to FMCG and Marketing roles. Given below is a list of companies who offered roles in Marketing,Finance and Strategy roles in Telcom, Technology and other exciting sectors.
Team InsideIIM.com wishes to thank XLRI Jamshedpur placement committee representatives for sharing the role wise classification as per the insideIIM format. The commentary around every statistic is strictly by people at InsideIIM.com and the XLRI placement committee has not played any role in it.
This is the first in a series of reports that InsideIIM.com will bring to you. We are committed in bringing you a complete picture. We will also ensure that no irresponsible reporting is done on this website. Attempt will be made to verify the data with the institution before any publishing is done. However, lack of response from the institution will not prevent us from providing insight to our readers. We must also put a disclaimer that despite our best efforts it is not always necessary that the data given to us is 100 % accurate.
Articles by current XLRI students :
by Anusheel Shrivastava here
You may also like to read articles by other XLRI alumni:
Miti Vaidya : What makes XLRI Jamshedpur so special
Meet Kachhy : The CFA conundrum
Sowmya Srinivasan : Summers Prep – Finance roles
Other articles by Miti Vaidya here
Our facebook page : InsideIIM
Follow us on twitter here : @InsideIIM