Four simple tricks to reduce waste from your work
Time is just like money and needs to be managed wisely just like your finances. Start tracking your time to manage work life balance and spend quality time doing what you love. Try TmTask to track your time! TmTask is a solution to smartly track your daily activities, manage both personal and work related projects, and provide tools to exceed your outcomes in a seamless manner. You can even automate your time tracking with TmTracker app to track everything from your time at home, employees’ location, conference/meeting rooms occupancy, break time, driving, dog walk, etc. Simply get beacons and connect with TmTask app. Click here to learn more about TmTask and its features.
Tracking your time is effective but have you ever thought of how to use your tracked time to improve your productivity?
Before we get into the topic of waste reduction, let me define the value add and non-value add time:
Value add time is the time that is actually valuable and results in satisfying outcomes. The time that increases productivity and effectiveness in your work.
Non-value add time, also called waste, refers to the time that doesn’t add value to or is unnecessary add on for the overall work.
As you now know the differences between the value add and non-value add times, let me share with you these four simple tricks and see your growth instantly:
- Group your tasks to work in batches
- Example:- Checking email: Instead of checking your emails more frequently every 5-10 min, try to check them in batches, more like having a fixed time to do it. Check it every 2 hr to quickly glance your emails and spend no more than 10 min each time you check your emails. Not every email is a critical one.
- Prioritize in advance
- Example:- Meeting: Before joining all the meetings, prioritize your work in advance to attend the ones that have a specific agenda, goals and action items. Again, not every meeting needs your active involvement.
- Plan your work
- Example:- Watching TV: This is the best pass time of everyone. Who doesn’t like watching TV but don’t make it your daily routine to watch any shows even if you aren’t interested. We often watch TV mindlessly. Plan your shows in advance and watch them accordingly.
- Test one change for goodness
- Example:- Commute: Commuting back and forth from work can be tiresome if you have to face traffic very often. If traffic is an issue and your manager allows, try to test one change by working at odd hours to avoid traffic or request to work from home. Beating rush hour traffic will ensure that you are working efficiently while keeping your spirits high!
- Try them out and do share your thoughts with us.
Track. Manage. Grow.