How To Make The Best Out Of Your MBA – Tips From An IIM Lucknow Graduate
Every year lakhs of aspirants take CAT and only a handful are selected to study in the B-school of their choice. If you are one of those lucky few, then congratulations! You have made it this far and kudos to your hard work and dedication that paid off.
But what next? Will it be like any other degree? Would you study, pass examinations, get marks and repeat? Or will it be something you would cherish for the rest of your life? I believe most of us would prefer the latter for the very reason that you have invested time and money (which includes the opportunity cost for many of us) into the degree. So, it makes most sense make the best out of it. So, here are a few tips and tricks to come out of the journey alive and kicking, while having accomplished something worth its while.
- Study: ‘Well, of course, I will! What else am I here for!’ I am sure you must be thinking this. But let me break it down for you. With a plethora of activities going on in and outside the campus, it becomes but natural to get distracted. Sometimes, so much so, that you indeed do forget what you are here for. Do not let that happen to you. Make a conscious effort to make time for academics and understand the concepts being taught in class. Some subjects may seem too generic to pay heed to. But do remember that the curriculums have been designed after careful consideration. No subject has been included just for the fun of it. And if you dig deep, you will find the worth of each subject you’re taught.
- Extracurriculars: Having stressed so much about the importance of studies, the fact remains that all work and no play would indeed make you dull. It is important that you engage yourself in activities of your choice and work at it. Find your passion, be it B-plan competitions, organizing events, sport, music, and arts, anything. Just find your calling and hone your skills. This is the best time to do so.
- Healthy living: Going to sleep at 4:00 am and munching on junk becomes the way of life for many of us pursuing MBA. But the hard truth is, our unhealthy habits do come back and bite us where it hurts the most, sooner than you had expected. Prevention is better than cure. So, try to stick to a schedule for eating and sleeping. When in doubt, always choose healthy over tasty. It helps you stay more alert and believe it or not, does affect your productivity positively.
- Positive Circle: A lot of your MBA experience is shaped by the people around you. So, as harsh as it may sound, choose your friends wisely. Try to mingle with like-minded people who share the same goals as you, so that you can motivate each other in achieving the same. “Networking” is a term used most commonly in B-schools for building connections. But it is these real relationships that you build over the years that count. Friendships and not ‘networks’ are what matter.
- Higher Purpose: The question ‘Why MBA?’ needs to be considered very carefully before joining a B-school. Because the answer to it acts as a guiding for the next 2 years in B-school. Every action should be motivated by it. And every failure and disappointment should be taken by the stride keeping that in mind. So, what exactly are you here for? The big paychecks? The amazing junta? The so-called learning? Or for actually making a difference? To each his own.
Hope the above pointers would help you make your journey a tad smoother and a lot more meaningful. May the force be with you!