Vishal Kumar Shaw from Department of Management Studies, IIT Delhi shares his internship experience in a short interview session with the Mediacell DMS, IIT Delhi. Vishal completed his summer internship in IT domain working out of Bangalore.
What was the overview of the project? Elaborate with some details
• The information on the availability, skills & contact details of the employees are either not latest or incomplete in the system.
• Created a mismatch when mapping of resources is done to a project against an indent as per the requirement thereby affecting the business operations.
• The success percentage of self proposal resource allocation to a project after comparing the employee skills with the JD (job description) was very low.
Share your daily routine & overall summer internship experience.
My daily routine comprised of scheduling the meetings with employees, Resource Managers, Delivery Heads, Senior Delivery Heads, Competency SPOCs, Information System SPOCs, Heads of Freshers’ On-boarding Development, Heads of Workforce Process Analytics, Business Process Associates, Practice Heads across various verticals and service lines. I used to discuss with them at length about the WMG activities and start narrowing down the pain areas that were very specific to their areas. The questionnaires I prepared for the employees, RMs and DMs were circulated and I would crunch numbers and spend days on analysing the responses. Through extensive discussions I came up with 5 key solutions that my mentor and guide (a SVP of the company) was really impressed with. They have started implementation of those ideas and even offered me to work on a new project post my internship. The overall experience was fantastic. I was very comfortable with the senior management of the company and had the opportunity to hang out with them and discuss things beyond my project scope. They had key points to add for my growth both personally and professionally. I was awarded with the Best Project Award towards at the end of my internship!
How was the selection process conducted?
The selection for the process was divided into 3 stages:
1. CV shortlist from the entire batch
2. GD for 15-20 minutes (My topic was - Big Data)
What were your key learnings from the summer internship?
My key learnings from the project were as follows:
• I got to understand and analyse the activities of People Supply Chain comprising of more than 150,000 employees which is quite different from the product supply chain we are taught in our curriculum generally.
• The allocation of resources to projects on the basis of skillset, competencies and account level budget keeping in mind key factors such as – reducing cost of delivery, cadre building on specific technologies, MIS on supply availability, on time fulfilment, on budget fulfilment with the right resource @ right time @ right location.
• Identification of quality proposal through Skill Match workbench, bench management, competency management.
Three tips would you give to your juniors
1. Read a lot on the latest happenings in various industries. It will not only help you in your GD but will also help you engage in conversations when you will be working with the senior management (SVPs, VPs, GMs, Sr Managers) of the company you will be interning with.
2. Be confident, courteous and polite when approaching your seniors in the company to seek their help. They are more than glad to always help you.
3. Make your presence felt in the organisation even if you will be there for a couple of months only. Use every opportunity to interact with as many people as possible and leave a positive indelible mark on them. I would advise the juniors to interact most with the senior management because the insights they have and the way they approach a problem statement will blow your mind away.
DMS, IIT Delhi