What Is The Life Of An Investment Banker Like?
Investment Banking is one of the most sought after domains in the world – an industry which brings with it a hefty paycheck and a dash of glamour. It also brings with it very long working hours, tight deadlines and an immense amount of stress.
What is it that an Investment Banker does in a day’s work?
An Investment Banker usually works on the Sell-side of the financial market. If you dream of working at a top-notch Investment Bank, here is what you may be expected to do:
- Carry out extensive research on trends and financial projections.
- Create detailed research reports and provide recommendations to clients.
- Develop various financial models to value debt and equity to raise capital.
- Develop relations with new clients, maintain and grow relations with existing clients.
- Create presentations for a client portfolio.
What are the skills required to become an Investment Banker?
An Investment Banker must have:
- Strong analytical, research, mathematical and accounting skills.
- Strong communication and networking skills.
- The ability to prioritize and work on multiple engagements.
- Strong spreadsheets skills.
- The ability to meet multiple deadlines.
- The ability to handle pressure and long working hours.
Which are the top Investment Banking recruiters?
Some of the top Investment Banks in the world are Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase & Co., Barclays, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, Union Bank of Switzerland, Nomura, Royal Bank of Scotland, BNP Paribas, Avendus Capital among others.
While these are big names in the i-Banking world, there are also boutique investment banks that handle smaller deals with mid-market organisations. Some of these include Ripple Wave, P2P, Veda Corp, Equirius Capital, Blackstone Group, Duff & Phelps, Lazard Ltd., Lincoln International, Moelis & Company among others.
Where can you find out more about life as an Investment Banker?
If Investment Banking is a domain that excites you, naturally, you would want to interact with individuals with relevant experience.
InsideIIM is conducting a Konversations Cafe on Finance Careers, where you will meet experts in the BFSI sector who can give you life-changing guidance on a career in Finance.
Our eminent speakers will include FinGods from top brands such as Goldman Sachs, Bank of America Merril Lynch, Piramal Capital and Edelweiss. These individuals have tonnes of experience and stories to share with you that can help you make a calculated career decision.
The K-Cafe on Finance Careers will be conducted in the following cities:
Date – 19th January 2019 (Saturday)
Time – 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Venue – Hard Rock Cafe, Park Street.
Register for the Kolkata event here.
Read more about the Kolkata event here.
Date – 2nd February 2019 (Saturday)
Time – 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Venue – TBD
Register for the Mumbai event here.