It is that time of the year by when either the summer placements have already commenced or are about to commence in almost every major b-school except IIMs ABC. Keeping that in mind, I’m back with a succinct summary of all the significant happenings of the last week of September. Hope it proves as a valuable addition to the arsenal of your weapons to combat the fierce battle of summer placements of 2017:
- Brokerage form Ambit Capital in its recent report has made a sad prophecy about the Indian economy by deducing that the income equality has kept on increasing and a similar trend is expected to sustain in the future. The bottom 50 percent of the population accounts for only 11% of national income.
- Contrary to its innate character, this Diwali may prove to be a messenger of darkness for Congress because Rahul Gandhi will most probably be replacing his mother as the president of the party. Congress yet again proving itself to be an exemplar of nepotism.
- In his supposed crusade against corruption, Arvind Kejriwal has come up with a counter to DMRC’s imminent plan of hiking metro fares. He has pushed for auditing DMRC’s accounts prior to taking any decision regarding a fare hike.
Let’s go Global:
- The war between US and North Korea seems closer to reality as Donald Trump has suggested his aide and the liaison Tillerson to halt talks and focus on actions. It’s even scarier to think of the North Korean tyrant’s reaction to this quip of Donald Trump.
- France has witnessed yet another horrid face of Islamic terrorism in the face of a fatal attack at Marseille train station. A man reportedly killed 2 women with knife after shouting “Allahu Akbar”.
- Fanning the fire of referendums that got triggered a few years ago with the referendum of Scottish independence, a sect of Spanish civilians is pushing it hard for a Catalonian independence referendum. They’ve sadly opted for violence and brash protests as the succour for fulfilling their cause.
From the World of Marketing:
- AirBnb, in its quest to make inroads into the Indian tourism and travel industry, has joined hands with Jet Airways to boost its visibility and expand its user base by luring those travelling by Jet Airways into lucrative offers. However, I’m not sure that whether the customer set of Jet and the target customers of AirBnb are a good match!
- India’s top real estate aggregator website magicbricks.com has taken a big leap by foraying into the luxury segment in great style by introducing an immersive virtual experience of some of India’s most enviable properties. The move is likely to open new avenues for the website thereby inviting high ticket price customers to its gates.
A Peek into the Politics:
- Former BJP stalwart Sinha’s caustic remarks on FinMin Arun Jaitley’s style of reforms has invoked a hot debate on whether the reality of the progress of Indian economy in the past 3 years is actually as grim as broached by Sinha or is the situation still under control?
- Theresa May is still reeling under the grave after-effects of the Brexit referendum, vacillating between choosing her own party and her country’s interests. When she has finally been able to mend the expectations gap with Brussels, a rift has surfaced between her and her party members.
This is it for this week. Happy Reading!