1. Festivities: Celebrations command a special place at Planet-I. The institute boasts of a large batch size with good batch diversity and the different cultures bring along a mélange of festivities which are celebrated with great fervor. But the most awaited happenings are the regional dinners be it the Bengali cuisine during Durga Puja or the delectable authentic Kerala feast during Onam. From the upbeat War of DJs to the colorful Dandiya nights (and not to forget the wacky Holi celebrations), the IIM-I folks sure know how to party in style.
2. Rural Immersion Program: IIM-I lays special stress on social sensitivity and in order to reconnect with our rural roots the RIP has been instituted. Under this program, the PGP-1s get a chance to spend a week in rural Madhya Pradesh. Last year, the programme was spread across 44 districts where the students gained first hand insights into the implementation of various Govt. schemes like MNREGA, Indra Awas Yojna, etc. they visited different villages and suggested plausible avenues of improvement.
3. Himalayan Trip: IIM-I focuses on experiential learning as a means of cultivating team-building and leadership skills which cannot be imparted through mere textbook learning. As part of experiential learning, the Himalayan Outbound Program is conducted every year for PGP-2s. Last year, the entire second year batch visited four exotic locations in Uttrakhand- Dayara Bugyal, Nainital, Bedni Bugyal, and Kedakanta. The week long program included an adrenaline stimulating mix of trekking, rafting and a plethora of adventure sports as well.
4. JAM and Pi-Shop: Amidst the daily commotion and never-ending medley of assignments, JAM and Pi-Shop provide the much needed respite. JAM (Juices and More) is a completely student run initiative of Planet-I. The fresh juices and shakes are a welcome change to the mess food. The ever so popular Pi-shop has been recently revamped. From the lifesaving supply of tea-time snacks and namkeen to the entire range of personal care products, Pi-shop is truly the merchandising hub of IIM-I. The junta has been spoilt for choice with the introduction of a new dosa point and a kachori center within the campus.
5. Recreational Center: Planet-I gives any institute a run for its money when it comes to mixing work with play. The campus houses a state of the art sports complex with provisions for a gym, aerobics center, squash and lawn tennis court. The jewel in the crown is perhaps the Olympic size swimming pool with provisions for coaching as well. All student hostels also have facilities for volleyball, badminton, basketball and football. The latest addition to the campus life is the weekly screening of new Bollywood releases in the auditorium. Indore is a foodie’s paradise with places like 56 food street, sarafa bazaar, Sayaji, Nafees and Chefs Alcove. The institute has good connectivity with the city with shuttle buses plying at regular intervals throughout the day.
6. Utsaha: Utsaha is a rural market research initiative undertaken by the PGPs. Last year, Utsaha was organized at the Kartik Purnim Mela in Janapav Kuti village near Indore. The fair saw a footfall of over 50,000 visitors. The students bagged many reputed research projects from marketing majors like HUL and M&M who wish to garner key rural consumer insights through such platforms.
7. Night Mess: Every institute has a go-to place which the students would (willingly) flock to, like hermits visiting a shrine. And for IIM-I, that spot is reserved for the night mess. The place comes alive as soon as the clock strikes 12 and the ritualistic birthday celebrations commence. People come here seeking creative freedom from their draining schedules and this is the hotspot for all campus chit chat. The aroma of tea, endless noise and brimming liveliness of this place make it the melting pot of the campus.
8. Scenic beauty and wildlife: Spread over 193 acres, the IIM-I campus is located on a hillock. The campus, bestowed with plush green lawns and a rich canopy of trees, is surely a photographer’s delight. The breathtaking view from the sunset point is only matched in its beauty by the dazzling Indore skyline at night. The academic block architecture is equally compelling with its beautiful arches and circular structure. The campus is a hub for flighted birds of all kinds, and if you’re lucky, you might even get to spot a few rabbits running around, apart from the regular sightings of squirrels and sparrows.
09. Industry Interaction: IIM-I understands the importance of providing real time exposure to the industry dynamics and hence values its industry interaction. This year an industry interaction program was instituted for the first year students wherein they regularly visited industries in and around Indore. During the program that spanned three terms, the students were allocated industry specific projects. Besides, a prudent mix of technical workshops, business workshops by corporates and guest lectures by industry veterans keeps the students updated with the realities of the business world.
10. Student Exchange Programme: IIM Indore boasts of the 3rd largest student exchange programme among all IIMs and the 4th largest among all leading B-Schools in the country, including ISB. This year, participants will study at leading B-Schools in Europe such as EM Lyon - France, Bocconi - Italy, Munich Business School - Germay, Frankfurt School of Finance and Management - Germany, etc. This gives the participants an opportunity to gain international exposure and understand the culture and corporate landscape in the global scenario. IIM Indore is also one of the few schools to have an exchange programme in Latin America - Brazil!
11. Student-Run Mutual Fund: Finance enthusiasts don’t have to wait for summer internships to put their finance knowledge to the test. Voyage Capital, which is the student run Mutual Fund of IIM Indore, has been successfully beating the markets for quite a while now. The half-yearly results of the mutual fund saw a CAGR of 25% for the term-ending Dec' 12. The team is made up of finance enthusiasts as well as participants with prior knowledge in stocks and trading. From strategically picking the right stocks to closely following the markets, this student-run club does it all with extreme finesse.
These are only a few of the many aspects that set IIM Indore apart from other B-schools. Whether it is dancing the night away at the famous DJ-parties or playing badminton at 4am or watching an old Hindi classic at the auditorium, IIM Indore has something exciting for everybody.
(This post was published on April 19th 2012. It was modified on May 15th 2013 by the new media committee)
IIM Indore Facebook Page : http://www.facebook.com/mediacom.iimindore
IIM Indore Twitter Handle : https://twitter.com/#!/IIM_Indore (There are 3-4 Twitter Handles oF IIM Indore.Make sure you're following the right one!)
IIM Indore student community page : www.iimindore.in
For article by IIM Indore Media Committe, Alumni and Current Students , Click here : IIM Indore
Read our Final Placement Reports for the Class of 2013 here
Our Facebook page : InsideIIM
Follow us on twitter here : @InsideIIM