Scoring high percentile in CAT is the first stepping stone towards the goal of getting into a top B-school. However, it is equally important for aspirants to brace themselves for Group Discussion, Writing Ability Tests and Interviews. It can be the deciding factor to ascertain a seat in top-notch B-schools.
Here are some tips from the top scorers of DMS, IIT-Delhi to help you prepare for the second part of the marathon.
1. General Knowledge is necessary for performing well in Group Discussions and interviews. One needs to be well acquainted with current affairs and happenings around the world.
We advise you to read newspapers like ‘The Hindu, Economic Times, Mint,’ download apps like Knappily, Inshorts, etc, indulge in conversations involving hot news topics with your friends & to keep gathering facts, statistics, numbers and also try to devise own opinion on ongoing affairs.
2. While social media addiction is one of the major threats during preparation for any exam, you can actually use Social Media for your benefits. For this, redesign your social media browsing. Follow news, general knowledge pages on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
3. To outclass in Group Discussions, try to be as good at listening as in communicating your thoughts. Try to participate in Mock GDs and play different roles such as initiator, channelizer, concluder etc. Please understand that Group Discussions are not only about oratory skills but, they are also about how to lead the discussion and give depth to the topic.
4. To perform well in Writing Ability Tests, keep the content precise and grammatically correct. Keep the word limit in mind and a constant check on time. It is advisable to search for the topics previously asked in WATs and practice those.
5. Before going to any interview, read about the institute in detail. Visit the website of the B-School and swim through necessary information like the names of founder, dean, director of the institute, courses/ specializations offered, opportunities provided apart from academics, average and highest package, major recruiters, students’ A comprehensive guide to prepare for post - CAT processes by DMS studentslife and culture in the institute. This will highlight your eagerness and sincerity to join the MBA course in that institute and will further the chances of getting selected by creating a positive impression in the mind of the interviewers.
6. If you have prior work-ex, be acquainted with details about your company apart from your job profile. If you are a fresher, choose an industry which you want to join post- MBA and prepare answers on why you want to join a particular industry and how would an MBA from the institute will help you. Be well acquainted with the subjects you studied in bachelor’s along with various projects or research undertaken by you.
Having said that, there is nothing to worry about the second round. Confidence and attitude are the keys to success. Be energetic, keep yourself motivated and improve yourself continuously. All the best.