Statement of Purpose is a portrayal of the character you show for enlistment in colleges. Many B-schools include SOP as a part of the selection process; therefore, SOPs can make or break your chances of getting into a B-school (courses such as PGDM/GMP/EPGP/PGPX/PGPEX/IPMX/etc.). It explains your qualities and characteristics and your reason to apply for the course. It will also help you in formulating answers for questions like “Why MBA?”, “Why this B-school?”, “Where do you see yourself in next 5 or 10 years?”, etc.
An elegantly composed SOP can help you express substantially more of yourself than a resume and can fortify your application. It is advisable to go through your SOP because the interviewer can point out the information mentioned in the SOP.
Points to be remembered while writing the SOP:
- Incorporate a Hook: A hook can be an episode, a test, an accomplishment or a disappointment, or even a statement (not an over-emotional, over-utilized statement). A ‘hook’ characterizes you and can help you make an effect on the reader. Stories, not obscure articulations, assist the reader with recalling your application for long, and this can emphatically affect your affirmation.
- Focus on your accomplishments (and disappointments): The SOP can help feature your working style, your capacity to deal with difficulties and conquer disappointments. It can improve your qualities and feature how you can be a resource for the class. Zero in on vital encounters and don’t attempt to make ‘anecdotal’ stories.
- Define the Path: Leverage the SOP to feature why you bounced occupations, enjoyed a reprieve, or picked a specific vocation way. Likewise, you ought to utilize your SOP to characterize a make profession way for yourself after MBA (or some other program you are applying to), which shows your consistent focus and supports your goals for the program. This will cover “Why MBA?”, “Why this specialization?”, “Where do you see yourself in next 5 or 10 years?”, etc.
- Comprehend the program and its differentiators: While applying to a program, you should initially peruse more about the program (utilize the B-school’s website, InsideIIM, etc.) and its key differentiators. You would then be able to utilize these focuses to feature why you pick this program and why it is ideal for you.
- Numbers on your SOP: Do not ‘make’ numbers to add to your SOP; put them on your SOP just in the event that you can legitimize it. Adding quantitative articulations only for its hell doesn’t enhance your SOP.
- Zero in on sentence structure: It is fundamental that your SOP has no spelling misstep or language issue. In the event that you are not certain, discover a companion or a specialist who can improve your language structure and right your sentences.
- Jargons: Do not add jargon just to cause your SOP to appear to be all the more academic. Steer away from superfluous utilization of muddled jargon and rather center around putting across your focuses in straightforward, simple to understand design. Keep in mind; nobody is positioning you dependent on your jargon; you ought to rather ensure that the entrance advisory board comprehends your view focuses.
- Try not to be tedious: With a restricted word tally, don’t rehash focuses and squander valuable space on your SOP.
- Lastly, you can sum up your SOP with a last remark about how you are an ideal decision for this program and the college or B-School for which you are applying.
It is advisable to get your SOP checked by a colleague or mentor to get an unbiased review so that you can make changes if required. I hope this helps you in writing your best possible masterpiece.
Break a leg!
Recommended For You:
- How To Write SOPs For The B-School Interview Process - A Guide From An IIM Alumna
- How To Write SOP || Ft. FMS Students
Our team at Kounsel is absolutely thrilled to present to you 'The Final Push' (TFP), a WAT-PI training program where we put you directly in touch with business school students and alumni from your dream institutes. These MBA students and alumni, having gone through the grueling WAT-PI process themselves, will train you to smash any and every b-school interview that comes your way!