What does it take to score a 99%ile in CAT? What is the gruelling preparation that toppers undertake to succeed with such outstanding results? How many hours a day do they study? How many mock tests do they take per week? We spoke to Riya Parwani, who scored a 99.96%ile in CAT 2018, and made into one of the top business schools - FMS Delhi.
Riya Parwani, after completing her B.Arch, recognised that she would have more career prospects if she pursued an MBA. Making the decision to switch, she began preparing for CAT 2018. She started out with a 94%ile, but did not get discouraged. While she was confident about her Verbal Ability, she had to brush up on her Quantitative Analysis. She decided to solve a large variety of mock tests from several different series so as to accustom herself with different kinds of papers. She focused on accuracy more than quantity, and after numerous mock tests, finally scored her second highest score with a 99.96%ile in CAT 2018.
In the video, Riya discusses her process in detail, giving valuable tips and tricks that can help you in preparing for your CAT exam.
1. Basics are essential in getting the right answers. Shortcuts won’t save your time.
2. Spend more time understanding Reading Comprehension. 4/6 questions are easily answerable. Reading it carefully will save you time.
3. Spend time choosing the sets in DILR. Finish the easy ones first and keep the difficult ones for later.
4. Focus on accuracy, instead of quantity when solving papers.
5. Take mock tests from different series. Each series is different and solving a wider range will help you prepare better.