Understanding IIM Bangalore's 2024-26 Selection Criteria
Here's a quick breakdown of IIM Bangalore's admission criteria and selection process in 2023.
Phase 1: Screening candidates on the basis of CAT 2023 minimum cut-offs
In this phase, IIM Bangalore screens candidates based on the institute's minimum overall and sectional CAT 2023 cut-offs. About 85% of all test takers are filtered out at this stage. The table below captures IIM Bangalore's CAT 2023 minimum cut-offs.
|*Figures indicate percentile.|
Please note that just because you have met all minimum cut-offs, you're not guaranteed a WAT-PI shortlist. That will depend on your CAT performance as well as other selection criteria that will become relevant in the next phase.
Phase 2: Shortlisting candidates for the WAT-PI process, based on weighted score
Here, candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their CAT 2023 score, 10th, 12th and graduation marks, and work experience. There are also additional points for gender diversity. The table below shows the IIM Bangalore's admission criteria and their weights.
|IIM Bangalore Selection Criteria 2024-26 | WAT-PI Shortlisting|
|CAT 2023 score||55|
|Work experience / Professional course||10|
|CAT 2023 Sectional Weights|
|Work Experience* Score Calculation|
|Experience between 0 to 36 months (X)||10X/36|
|Experience greater than and equal to 36 months||10|
|*For work experience in months up to July 2023.|
Beyond this, candidates with the top 10 highest scores in CAT 2023, and those amongst the top 10 in the CA/ICWA/CS category automatically qualify for the WAT-PI round.
Phase 3: Shortlisting candidates for final admission, based on weighted score
Once the WAT-PI process has finished, candidates will once again be evaluated based on a set of selection criteria. The table below shows IIM Bangalore's admission criteria for final shortlisting, and their weights.
|IIM Bangalore Selection Criteria 2023 | WAT-PI Shortlisting|
|CAT 2023 score||25|
|Weighted work experience||10|
At this stage, panelists will also evaluate the quality of work experience. To compute this, your work experience score from Phase 1 will be scaled down to a maximum score of 5 and then multiplied with a 'quality score' to arrive at the weighted score. For more details, explore the official admission policy document.
What Does IIM Bangalore's 2024-26 Selection Criteria Mean for You?
1. With 55% weight in the first phase and 25% weight in the second phase, CAT continues to be amongst the most influential factors in your admission to IIM-B.
2. Your graduation marks will again be influential in the admission process. This means at least two out of three academic criteria should be strong to have a fairly decent chance of making it to IIM Bangalore. Note: grad marks are not segmented by graduation streams (like we've seen at IIM Ahmedabad).
3. Within CAT, IIM Bangalore has also defined DILR performance > VARC performance > QA performance, which may be of some relief to those weak in QA. This is applicable to both the pre-PI and post-PI processes.
4. If you have three years or more of work experience, IIM Bangalore will reward you with the maximum possible marks in the WAT-PI shortlisting phase. But your quality of work will become more important in the final shortlisting phase.
5. Women will have a slight edge in the admissions process but are limited only to the pre-PI shortlisting phase. There continues to be no weight for academic diversity.