Mrunmayi Oke spills the beans on the crazy experiences she had during demonetization and GST when she was working at Aditya Birla Retail, her leadership stint with Carbon Black and why she chose a Gen-Man role (despite having great opportunities at Google & Amazon). She gives clear pointers on what differentiates a good leader from a great one and how ABG has been a catalyst in making her a more holistic leader.
She has had an exciting journey with the Aditya Birla Group. In the last 6 years, she has changed 5 roles across 3 businesses and she currently heads digital analytics at Aditya Birla Fashion & Retail - Pantaloons.
1. At b-school, you will study with people from different backgrounds, career aspirations, and experiences. So, stop comparing yourself to others. You need to know what makes you happy and choose that for yourself.
2. The customer will always be on top of all your decision-making.
3. Sometimes you have to just take the decision. Out of 10, 3 decisions might work whereas 7 may fail, you have to learn to move on.
4. Your ability to take the risk and make a decision differentiates you from being an okay leader and a good leader.
5. With ABG, there has been tremendous growth as a professional. There is a buffet of businesses at ABG and you're free to experience all the flavours it has to offer.
6. The first thing to do as a leader is to accept what you don't know. Understand that there is different expertise that you bring to the table, which is why you're there. Be modest, be humble, ask questions, learn.
7. A good leader has the ability to think on his feet and take decisions when needed.
8. A consulting role makes you a partner whereas a gen-man role makes you a CEO.
9. The different opportunities and challenging roles that ABG put me through honed my decision-making abilities.
10. ABG as a group embraces all kinds of diversity.