What Are Recruiters Looking For?
One of the important factors to consider while composing a resume is considering what recruiters take notice of. The top Consulting companies are seeking candidates with the following skills.
- Problem Solving: If you have demonstrated any strong intellectual abilities to solve a problem in your university or work environment, will be considered.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: The recruiters evaluate your innovative thinking and study your capacity to take initiative.
- Leadership Skills: This is as literal as it can get. Demonstrate your ability to lead a team by detailing your previous experience.
- Outcome: Educate them on your ability to put ideas into action to produce positive results.
Quick Tip: The first objective is to draw attention to your experience by highlighting these unique skills as bullet points. Balance the points between these four categories to get ahead of the competition.
That’s not it! Senior executives of Consulting firms like McKinsey and Bain & Co. have revealed that there are 3 lateral attributes they look for:
- Brand Name: Mentioning any big brand names like top b-schools or renowned companies helps you stand out from the crowd along with the abilities mentioned earlier.
The top consulting firms are particular about the academic pedigree as they want to hire people who have the tenacity to survive the rigor of a Consulting life. It is the way for them to gain clients by simply stating “Mr. X is a Harvard alumnus” or “Ms. Z has 5 years of experience in Google”.
If you are not from one of the top b-schools, then you'll need to demonstrate your abilities in a strong suit to overcome this issue.
- GPA: It is one of the important elements the top Consulting firms look for. This is a golden egg factor to your CV score that helps them to screen the candidate list.
If you lack in this area, make sure to compensate with other impressive accomplishments such as great leadership and analytical abilities.
- Languages: Most Consulting firms operate globally and when they find a candidate that is multilingual is a bonus for them. Hence, your value to the firm increases when you know different languages more than knowing only English.
These 3 elements are majorly used to filter out the candidates for the next phase.
Begin your Consulting career by learning & working on case studies with experts of BCG, PwC, HUL, etc. & get a chance to join a global business immersion in Dubai
Tips For An Outstanding Consulting CV
Collect the raw data about your academic & professional experience and begin creating a CV.
- One-Page CV: It might be a difficult task but it is one of the unspoken rules in the interview guide. Add relevant points and accomplishments that are concise and to the point.
- Use 4 sections: Academics, Work Experience, Achievements & Extracurricular Activities
- Skills: Match your experience and knowledge to the skills that recruiters are looking for. For example: If the skill is problem-solving, mention the time you discovered root causes and proactively addressed them.
- Achievements: It is basically about “what did you do?” and “outcome of it”. “What you did” can be an internship, a course, or other relevant experience. As an aspiring consultant, for “outcome”, you should focus on key areas like revenue, cost, processes, clients, reports, & recognition.
- Keywords: Use keywords to make your point across efficiently. A few examples of keywords to use in your resume for relevant skills.
- Quantify: Consultants spend the majority of their time providing figures to pitch their proposals or demonstrate a positive outcome. As a result, try to quantify every point or result in your Consulting CV.
Once you are done with creating a resume, make sure to proofread it multiple times.
The demands and criteria are the same regardless of any consulting firm you are applying for. The guidance in this article will assist you in creating a strong consulting CV that will help you stand out from the crowd.
We all know that a CV isn't the end of the story of any consulting interview. It's only the tip of the iceberg; there's a lot more to discover and learn.
In order to bag an offer from a top consulting firm, go beyond just creating a CV and learn or upskill yourselves with the skills required and prepare for interviews.
The Consulting Festival was one of the first programs we launched and continues to remain one of our most popular programs with ratings of 4.56 out of 5. Check out Season 2 of AltUni’s Consulting Festival with Seema Bansal, Director & Partner at BCG & other consulting experts who’ve worked with companies like IMCI, SAP, World Bank, Walt Disney, TCS, etc.
Gain 60+ years of Consulting experience in just 3 months with AltUni | Apply now to get 15% off on MRP
How does it help?
- 48+ hours of live sessions where you will learn - Consulting concepts & frameworks, solving business case studies, learning to crack case interviews & guesstimates, and doing a business case simulation
- A chance to join a 1-week Dubai Business Immersion Program - network with CXOs & top talent. Stand a chance to work abroad remotely.
- Learn industry orientation, practical know-how, & essential tools from Consulting experts who've worked with BCG, PwC, Accenture, HUL, etc.
- Learn the most potent tools consultants use - Excel, SQL, Power BI, etc.
- Improve your profile & apply learnings on a real-life Consulting project with the global partner of Microsoft - Voiceback Analytics
- Develop deep industry knowledge to ace consulting placements & excel at live business simulation.
- Ace any type of guesstimates & case interviews with interview prep and 1:1 mock interviews with consulting experts.
Here’s what some of our alumni have to say about the Consulting Festival,
- “Consulting Fest is a good primer for anyone who's aspiring for a consulting career. The information alone would have made the cost worth it but the interactions made the sessions more than that.” - Abhinand Gopal
- “The program was very enlightening, especially with interactions with people from top consulting firms. Another experience that was a highlight for me was the mock interview experience. From an MBA student perspective, it was worth the investment I did with great returns.” - Aiswarya Mishra
- “I wanted hands-on experience in the consulting world and enrolled myself in the program since we would have the opportunity to work on a live project as well, in conjunction with interaction with industry experts. There was a tremendous learning and the program gave me the confidence to ace some of the consulting interviews as well.” - Rachel Kujur
- “This business simulation game was a real mind-bender but with a lot of learning. Thank you AltUni & InsideIIM and the team for the support. We finally managed to crack it.” - Abhishek Kumar Gupta