Maggi. Ghadi Detergent. Dairy Milk. Colgate. Nirma. Amul Butter. Parle G. Some famous brands that kids across India would know. These brands are stuck in our minds as funny ads, jingles, quirky statements or just 2 minute foods. But how did they begin? Who made these names iconic, household terms? The answer lies somewhere between strategy and marketing! If you’re an MBA aspirant or student interested in marketing, you would probably want to work on a brand such as this. You would essentially become a part of the FMCG story - enriching those household utility brands that we all know and love! In this article, meet some marketers who have contributed to the stories of famous, iconic or just daily FMCG brands. Find out what makes an FMCG career interesting. Is selling soaps, atta or noodles really a passion project? What rewards do you get as an FMCG marketer? This article provides you a glimpse. And a little something more. An opportunity to create your own marketing career! Check it out now!
Here’s some FMCG Insider Knowledge For You:
“22nd July 2020 I woke up to an email from the placements team.
“Congratulations! You have been offered a Pre Placement offer from Reckitt Benckiser based on your Summer Internship performance.”
And over the next few hours, as it sunk in, I realised just how lucky I was that everything worked out just right, from the project, to having a guide I was able to connect with to having a smooth presentation without technical glitches.”
- Check out Dhaval Patel’s journey to bagging a PPO at Reckitt Benckiser
“It seemed only yesterday that the 45-minute journey to my first day at the office of what one would call the most delicious company ever- Mondelēz India Foods Ltd. had started. I was standing on the doorway of the women’s compartment of the local train, watching the Mumbai high rises speed past, so lost in my own musings of the coming two months that I had almost missed the announcement above - “The next station is Mahalaxmi, pudhel station Mahalaxmi.” I jumped off the train, fought my way through the morning crowd on the station and then hopped into a cab across the street-“Cadbury house, bhaiya”, I said, as he turned on the meter. The cab dropped me in front of the iconic white building- the world of all our Dairy Milks, Oreos and Five Stars.”
- Read Amita Sureka, IIM L grad’s sweet internship story with Mondelez!
For nearly a decade, we've been in the business of constantly trying to bridge any knowledge gaps that may exist between your idea of an MBA and what it can add to your career, and what value it really adds. Our entire team works constantly to bring you closer to a career decision that is right for you in the longer term.
We continue with our endeavor this year stronger than ever, and are proud to present to you the InsideIIM Marketing Festival 2020 - an opportunity for you to spend about 5 hours each with professionals who are currently where you'd probably want to see yourself at some point in your careers. These are professionals who have a strong pedigree, have been educated from the finest institutions, and have gone on to work as senior executives at industry giants - a testimony to the fact that they are really good at what they do, and we want to offer you nothing but the best.
The first series of sessions with the Founder of Terribly Tiny Tales is now coming to an end, and we inching closer to the most anticipated series of sessions in the Marketing Festival - FMCG Marketing 101, conducted by someone who has previously been a Global Brand Manager at Unilever, no less, and holds an MBA degree from IIM Indore!
At the end of this 3-day-long series, these are the questions that your instructor for the FMCG Marketing 101 series will answer:
Session 1 - The Foundation of FMCG Marketing: Bring Out Some Truths To The Surface (1.5 Hours)
- What does an FMCG Marketer really do? Is the path to a Marketing career as straightforward as it seems, or is there some unknown twist or challenge that you're bound to face?
- What are the skill sets common to all FMCG Marketing professionals? What skills will you need to build to get to their level?
- As a Marketing professional with, say, a Unilever or a Nestle, what should be your realistic long term and short term goals?
- A day in the life of a Brand Manager is too short to learn anything - what does a year look like in the life of a Brand Manager? What are the targets to chase, the obstacles to face?
Session 2 - Getting Into The Technicals of The Role: How Do FMCG Marketers Do What They Do? (1.5 Hours)
- What is a 'Marketing Mix'? How do you go about developing a 'Marketing Mix'? What impact does it have on your job/company?
- What is the journey through a standard process at an FMCG company?
- What is 'de-risking' of a project? How do you de-risk a project? Why is it crucial for the role of an FMCG marketer?
Session 3 - Gaining More Technical Insights, Applying Gained Knowledge (1.5 Hours)
- What are consumer insights? How do you use consumer insights to do your job better?
- What is the process of concept development? How do you frame a Marketing concept? What method can you adopt to ensure accuracy?
- An interactive exercise on insight development for participants of FMCG Marketing 101.
Apart from this, your instructor will also talk about what it takes to reach such a senior position at an organization as reputed as Unilever. Beyond this, he will also be taking questions from at the end of every single session! In fact, you can go ahead now and ask your burning questions about FMCG Marketing and Marketing careers in general here, and these will be taken up by your instructor in one of the sessions!
Whether you're deeply passionate about the field of Sales & Marketing, are confused about a career in Sales & Marketing, or just want to know more about Sales & Marketing so you can ace your job interviews, we guarantee that these 4.5 hours hold the potential to take you many steps closer to your career goals.
The time to invest in your career is now. Enroll now for FMCG Marketing 101 and the InsideIIM Marketing Festival here.