With the CAT results out and the forms of IIMs shared with the students, it is that time when the preparations for interviews start in full swing. In this article, we have collaborated with the students of the 2019-21 Batch of IIM Indore to share their interview experiences.
X: 96.42% (ICSE)
XII: 94.5% (CBSE)
BTech CGPA: 9.32
Work Experience: 32 months
WAT Topic: Should the reservation be based on economic criteria and physical disability only
PI Experience: It started off with generic ice-breaking questions like:-
· Tell me something about yourself.
· Explain your work profile. In simple terms, explain the entire power flow scenario, where and how do you intervene?
· Why had you left your previous employer? What are your reasons for trying for Business education in spite of a stable job?
· Why/ How do you think MBA degree will help you?
The focus then shifted towards technical questions like-
· What technologies are used in the various lights available in this room?
· Explain all the technologies/ working principles (incandescent bulb, fluorescent tubes, CFL, etc) you are aware of. (I cited whatever basic understanding I had about the technologies, circuit diagrams of tube light connection, etc.)
· Some questions regarding Gas-insulated sub-stations (GIS) and differential relays (These were probably because I had mentioned GIS commissioning and relay configuration while citing my job profile)
· Working principle of an Induction Motor. (explained clearly)
· A guestimate was put forth- The approximate energy savings in the hotel if a mechanism was developed to auto-switch-off the lights in absence of people. (Their focus was more on the approach and explanation given throughout, rather than the final figure I had arrived at.)
· How do you think we can tackle the energy requirement of the country? (They were looking for use of unconventional resources; after citing the same, discussion extended around related aspects) ; Challenges that renewable sources of energy pose? What are some measures we can take to counter them?
· There was a question regarding Hyperbolic Functions and their significance. (I could not remember what it was and cited the same.)
· Prove Pythagoras Theorem.
Extempore Topic: Your views on privatization of discoms (distribution companies) in India. I covered the basic models of privatization which are applicable in this sector-licensing/ franchisee/ outsourcing, etc; the regulatory aspects; the pros and cons of privatization; gave examples where such initiatives have been successful and instances where they haven’t been as fruitful as expected; what measures need to be taken to ensure sustainability of such models.
1. It is very important to stay positive. What’s meant to be yours will be yours.
2. Be yourself. Authenticity is valued.
3. Stay calm and composed throughout the process.
4. Clarity in communication and structuring of answers is important.
5. It is not necessary that you have answers to everything put forth to you. If there is anything you don’t know, gracefully accept that you aren’t aware about it.
6. There will be several instances where the responses will guide subsequent questions. Frame the answers which might lead to questions related to your forte.
7. Try to be assertive, but ensure that you are not aggressive.
X: 95% (CBSE 10 CGPA)
XII: 95.8% (CBSE)
BTech CGPA: 8.05
Work Experience: 24 months
WAT Topic: Position on if freedom of opinion is being curtailed.
PI Experience: Basic introduction and Work Experience related questions, to begin with.
· Who is the Defense minister and other women ministers in the cabinet?
· All TV series I've watched
· Lady CMs in India
· They asked me a truth table question and to convert it into a set diagram. I clarified and they said Venn diagram.
· They asked me how I would measure power in circuit and asked me unit of Power. I said Watt. They asked me what kVA is.
· They asked me about the household consumption of Power.
· I was asked what newspapers I read. I said Times of India and that I used to read The Hindu at times till last week.
· They asked me why and I said about the cropping of full information. I said that I like to see the full picture and that I usually go to Google News and see different stands on the same issue from different papers and brought my WAT conclusion in.
· Then I was asked what is unique about EMS Namboodhiripad and I said that it is the first democratically elected communist government in the world. They corrected saying that it is the first democratically elected communist government in India and second worldwide. I was then asked why was he removed and I said that Indira Gandhi had her problem and brought President Rule.
· The interview ended with them asking about my signature being slightly unique and how long have I been signing as such. I said that I've changed my signature over the years till class 11 /12 to make it simpler and because I can't reproduce a different style.
1. Be calm and composed and have a smile.
2. Stay alert and responsive.
We wish the candidates all the very best for their interviews!
To read the second part of this article, click here!
We know how badly you want to get into your dream b-school in 2020, and we also understand that the competition is really tough. But guess what - we're here to help you out with your WAT-PI preparation, and we'll do it completely free of cost! Interested? Then register for the Unilever Change Makers program and take one massive step closer to your dream MBA institute.