The IIM Calcutta selection criteria 2020 has been released! Unlike last year where there were massive changes, IIM Calcutta has only tweaked a few things this year. Read on to find what they are and how they will affect you.
IIM Calcutta Admission Criteria 2020 - Important Highlights
The following are the major changes in IIM Calcutta's latest admission/selection criteria:
- The ‘Minimum Cut-off requirements’ have remained the same for the following categories – Open, NC-OBC, EWS, SC and ST. For PWD category, there is some good news – The cut-offs for each section have become 45 percentile and 55 percentile overall. In 2019, the cut-offs for each section were 55 percentile and 65 percentile overall. This makes it easier for PWD candidates to be shortlisted.
- In Round 3, WAT – Written Aptitude Test has been removed. In 2019, it had a weightage of 10 points. This automatically increases the importance of other criteria like – CAT Score, PI, Academic diversity and work experience. Considering the pandemic and the operational difficulties of conducting a WAT from home, IIMC might have decided to alter that criteria. This is great news for candidates with weak or average writing skills. It also means candidates have 1 less thing to worry about and prepare.
Also Read: Minimum CAT Score Required to Get Into IIMs
IIM Calcutta Selection Criteria 2020 - Overview
IIM Calcutta has 3 rounds in its admissions process for the flagship Post Graduate Programme (MBA).
ROUND 1 - In the first round, a candidate has to clear the minimum cut-offs.
In the preliminary screening round, candidates must meet the minimum section and overall CAT 2020 percentile cut-offs set by IIM Calcutta to be even considered for the next set of rounds. The following are the minimum section and overall CAT 2020 cut-offs set by IIM Calcutta:
Disclaimer - It is important to note that the actual section-wise and overall percentile of a short-listed candidate may be much higher than the below-mentioned criteria as it will depend upon the number of candidates to be called for interview in each category.
|Category||Quantitative Ability||Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning||Verbal Ability||Total Percentile|
|OPEN||≥ 75||≥ 80||≥ 80||≥ 85|
|NC-OBC||≥ 65||≥ 65||≥ 70||≥ 75|
|EWS||≥ 65||≥ 65||≥ 70||≥ 75|
|SC||≥ 60||≥ 60||≥ 65||≥ 70|
|ST||≥ 55||≥ 55||≥ 55||≥ 65|
|PWD||≥ 45||≥ 45||≥ 45||≥ 55|
Note - Simply meeting the minimum sectional and overall CAT 2020 cut-offs set by IIM Calcutta is not a guarantee of a shortlist call from the institute. IIM Calcutta computes candidates' composite scores by considering various other components, such as their academic profile. More importantly, CAT 2020 scores account for nearly 3/5th of the total weight while computing composite scores, implying that a higher CAT score improves your chances of getting a shortlist call from IIM Calcutta.
ROUND 2 – Shortlisting for the PI round - Composite Score (CS) Calculation
IIM Calcutta shortlists candidates for the Personal Interview round based on their CAT score,10th marks, 12th marks, graduation marks, and awards special points for gender diversity.
The following are the weights assigned to each of the components in IIM Calcutta's selection criteria for 2020:
|Criteria||Weightage||Method of Calculation|
|CAT 2020 Score||56%||A/B * 56|
|Class 10||10%||Refer Table Below|
|Class 12||15%||Refer Table Below|
|Graduation||15%||Refer Table Below|
|Gender Diversity||4%||Awarded to a female|
*A = Candidate’s Total CAT 2020 score & B = Maximum possible CAT 2020 Score
IIM Calcutta Selection Criteria 2020 - Points for Class 10th Marks
|Class 10th Marks (in %)||Points|
|≥ 75 and < 80||8|
|≥ 70 and < 75||6|
|≥ 65 and < 70||4|
|≥ 60 and < 65||2|
IIM Calcutta Selection Criteria 2020 - Points for Class 12th Marks
|Class 12th Marks (in %)||Points|
|≥ 75 and < 80||12|
|≥ 70 and < 75||9|
|≥ 65 and < 70||5|
|≥ 60 and < 65||3|
For computing, the marks (in %) secured in Class 10 and Class 12, the aggregate marks of all subjects that appear in the mark sheet/grade sheet would be considered irrespective of whether the Board considers them for calculation of percentage or not.
IIM Calcutta Selection Criteria 2020 - Points for Graduation Marks
|Bacherlor's (in %)||Points|
|≥ 55 and < 60||10|
|≥ 50 and < 55||5|
ROUND 3 – Final selection
In the final round, IIM Calcutta conducts the final selection of candidates for the 2-year PGP programme, based on the candidate's PI performance, as well as their CAT score, work experience, and academic diversity (if applicable).
For the final selection process for IIM Calcutta's PGP programme, a weighted composite score (CS) will be calculated via the following components:
|CAT 2020 Score||30|
For work experience, a maximum of eight points will be awarded based on the length of service (in completed months) as on January 31, 2021 (Please refer the table below). However, only managerial work experience after completion of bachelor’s degree will be considered. Training/Project work/work done as an integral part of curricular requirement will not be considered.
|12 to 18||2|
|19 to 24||4|
|25 to 30||6|
|31 to 36||8|
|37 to 42||6|
|43 to 48||4|
Recommended For You:
- IIM Ahmedabad Latest Selection Criteria 2020
- IIM Bangalore To Give Profile More Weight Than CAT 2020 Score | IIM-B's Latest Admission Policy
- IIM Lucknow's Latest Selection Criteria - CAT Score Remains Dominant Factor In Shortlisting
- Work Experience Added, WAT Removed In IIM Kozhikode's Latest Selection Criteria For PGP 2021-2023
- IIM Indore's Latest Selection Criteria - 40% Weightage For 12th Marks, 20% On CAT Score
- IIM Shillong's Latest Selection Criteria - CAT Score And PI Dominant Factors For Shortlisting Candidates