IIM Calcutta Selection Criteria 2022 - Key Highlights
- The minimum overall CAT 2022 cut-off has been set at the 85th percentile for the 'General' category. The minimum cut-off for the QA section has been set at the 75th percentile. The cut-offs for the other two sections are at the 80th percentile.
- Graduation marks continue to not be included in IIM Calcutta's selection criteria (phew!). But 10th and 12th marks still count. However, anyone with an 80%+ in 10th and 12th gets maximum possible marks.
- If you have 6 months (or less) of full-time work experience as of January 31st, 2023, you get no marks for work experience. But if you've got between 2-3 years of experience, you get the maximum possible marks.
- In terms of academic diversity, most engineers still lose out. BUT engineers who've done a non-engineering Master's program still get some marks!
- As has been the case before, non-engineers (especially lawyers) have an edge in IIM Calcutta's shortlisting process.
- In the initial shortlisting process for the WAT-PI round, your CAT scores account for almost 2/3rd of the total weight. After the WAT-PI process, 56% of the weight goes to your WAT-PI performance, while 30% of the weight goes to your CAT 2022 scores.
IIM Calcutta's Selection Criteria in 2022, Explained
Phase 1: Eliminating candidates based on CAT percentile cut-off
|IIM Calcutta Selection Criteria 2022 | Minimum CAT 2022 Cut-Offs|
Phase 2: Shortlisting candidates for WAT-PI based on weighted score
|IIM Calcutta Selection Criteria 2022 | WAT-PI Shortlisting Criteria|
|CAT 2022 Score*||56||(A/B) x 56|
|Class 10 marks||10||As per Table 3 below|
|Class 12 marks||15||As per Table 3 below|
|Gender Diversity Factor||4||4 points will be awarded for female and transgender candidates only.|
|*A = Candidate’s CAT 2022 Total Overall Scaled Score, and B = Maximum possible CAT 2022 Total Overall Scaled Score|
|Class 10th Marks (%)||Points||Class 12th Marks (%)||Points|
|≥75 and <80||8||≥75 and <80||12|
|≥70 and <75||6||≥70 and <75||9|
|≥65 and <70||4||≥65 and <70||6|
|≥60 and <65||2||≥60 and <65||3|
Phase 3: Shortlisting candidates for admission based on weighted score
|IIM Calcutta Selection Criteria 2022 | Final Shortlisting Criteria|
|CAT 2022 Score||30|
|Personal Interview (PI)||48|
|Writing Ability Test (WAT)||8|
|Sr. No||Academic Category||Points|
|1||Bachelor's degree in engineering stream OR Master’s degree in engineering stream OR Integrated Master’s degree in engineering stream||0|
|2||Bachelor's degree in non-engineering stream||4|
|3||Dual bachelor’s degree in Law (e.g. BA LLB, BSc. LLB, B.Com LLB, BBA LLB).||5|
|4||Bachelor's degree in engineering stream and Masters in non-engineering stream||2|
|5||Bachelor's degree in non-engineering stream and Masters in non-engineering stream||5|
|6||Dual/Integrated degree where bachelors is non-engineering and masters is in non-engineering stream||5|
|7||Dual/Integrated degree where Bachelors is engineering stream and Masters is non-engineering stream||1|
|8||CA/ICWA/CS or Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of India (FIAI) without having a bachelor’s degree.||5|
|9||CA/ICWA/CS or Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of India (FIAI) with a bachelor’s degree.||6|
|10||CA/ICWA/CS or Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of India (FIAI) with or without a bachelor’s degree, and with Masters in non-engineering stream.||6|
|11||Integrated bachelor’s degree in Law and Masters in non-engineering stream.||6|
|Work Experience (X)||Points|
|Less than or equal to 6 months||0|
|Greater than 6 months but less than or equal to 24 months||X/2|
|Greater than 24 months but less than or equal to 36 months||8|
|Greater than 36 months but less than or equal to 48 months||26-(X/2)|
|Greater than 48 months||2|
What Does the 2022 IIM Calcutta Selection Criteria Mean for You?
- To even make it to the WAT-PI round, you'll need to have an excellent CAT performance. In fact, if you have terrible 10th and/or 12th marks, your CAT 2022 score could be your saving grace.
- IIM Calcutta is extremely generous in terms of 10th and 12th marks. So if you've got 80%+ marks in 10th and 12th, forget everything and focus on maximizing your CAT scores.
- IIM Calcutta has defined academic diversity at a highly granular level. In 2022, it appears that those with law, integrated/dual, and BFSI-relevant certifications will have an edge. Those with pure non-engineering education will also have an advantage.
- The importance of your WAT-PI performance cannot be understated. Together, these components make up an incredible 56% weight in the final shortlisting process.
- Candidates between 2-3 years of experience will find a serious advantage in the final shortlisting round, as will those with around 37-38 months of work experience.
- Women will have a fair advantage in the initial shortlisting process. But no extra marks in the latter stages of selection, unfortunately.