With just a few hours to go before the IIFT entrance exam, here are some last moment suggestions and tips for all the eager aspirants out there. Cracking the exam is all about channelizing and strategizing everything you've learnt/acquired so far in those couple of hours.
- Clearly, the first thing to do is be well-rested and take the exam with a calm mind.
- Simulated experiences with perfectly curated (relevant to IIFT) IIFT mock exams are a must. But don't overdo them. Get a hang of the pattern, since you've taken CAT recently.
- GK section- If you are well-read, you can easily clear the cut-off. The questions are unpredictable and checks how conversant and comfortable you are with the business world. So, go through any current business news (mergers-acquisition, awards, policy), Nobel Prize and other important awards, United Nation who’s who and India's rank in some important index and capital-currency of countries, logos of corporations, important positions to name a few areas.
- When attempting the mock exam, put yourself in the habit of always answering and attempting all the easy questions in all the sections to clear the sectional cut-off. Once sectional cut-off is sailed through, you must attempt to capitalize on your strong area. Attempt the section first in the exam. Ideal time-8-10 minutes Max. Be thorough with last years' sectional cut-offs and plan and practise accordingly.
- Quant - Pick easy questions and solve it first. Many questions may seem unsolvable prima facie but can be solved using approximation and option elimination.
- Your aim should be to solve using option elimination and approximation rather than the basic approach, i.e. to maximize your attempt.
- LR DI - Based on the level of difficulty and marks per question, prioritize your attempt. Solve as many as you can. LR of IIFT usually is traditional and conventional section. DI is all about trade-off between risk and approximation. Don't try to solve DI fully to the decimal point - instead solve by approximation to maximize your attempt.
- Verbal and RC- Don’t try to skim the RC passage. Instead, read it at one go and understand the overview. The passages will be long but easy to comprehend. Read few foreign words, basics of grammar rule in addition to your CAT verbal prep. That will do.
- Don't over attempt by trading off accuracy. Accuracy is the king. Don’t spend too much time on any single question. Never lose hope during the paper, as you can always come back. Also, remember if it's difficult for you, it's difficult for everyone. Take care of the sectional cut off. And be well-versed with the online interface as IIFT is going online for the first time. Last but not least, never go with pre-conceived paper taking strategy in mind. Never. Check the paper and develop real-time strategy to attempt the paper.
- Lastly, nothing can beat the odds more than your mindset and attitude while taking the test. Be well rested and hydrated, and take the exam with a go-getter attitude.