Are you prepared to tackle any General Knowledge question that comes your way? CAT, SNAP and NMAT might not have a GK section, but almost every other major examination requires you to be up to date with the latest current affairs. Do you think you’re prepared? Do you know what all you have to read up on? A lot has happened over the year, and it can be quite difficult to try and search for these events. Wouldn’t you like to have a list of all these events in one place? Here is an attempt to make your work easier. Here is your One-Stop GK Guide.
Static GK includes any and every piece of information that marks important events, information, personalities, etc. that have occurred over the years.
A basic breakdown of topics included in this section are as follows:
List of Presidents
|1||Rajendra Prasad||1950 to 1962|
|2||Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan||1962 to 1967|
|3||Zakir Hussain||1967 to 1969|
|-||VV Giri (Acting President)||1969 to 1969|
|-||Mohammad Hidayatullah (Acting President)||1969 to 1969|
|4||V.V Giri||1969 to 1974|
|5||Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed||1974 to 1977|
|-||Basappa Danappa Jatti (Acting President)||1977 to 1977|
|6||Neelam Sanjiva Reddy||1977 to 1982|
|7||Giani Zail Singh||1982 to 1987|
|8||R Venkataraman||1987 to 1992|
|9||Shankar Dayal Sharma||1992 to 1997|
|10||K R Narayanan||1997 to 2002|
|11||APJ Abdul Kalam||2002 to 2007|
|12||Pratibha Patil||2007 to 2012|
|13||Pranab Mukherjee||2012 to 2017|
|14||Ram Nath Kovind||2017 to Present|
List of Prime Ministers
|1||Jawaharlal Nehru||(1947 – 64)|
|2||Gulzarilal Nanda||(1964; 1st time)|
|3||Lal Bahadur Shastri||(1964 – 66)|
|4||Gulzarilal Nanda||(1966; 2nd time)|
|5||Indira Gandhi||(1966 – 77; 1st time)|
|6||Morarji Desai||(1977 – 79)|
|7||Charan Singh||(1979 – 80)|
|8||Indira Gandhi||(1980 – 84; 2nd time)|
|10||V.P. Singh||(1989 – 90)|
|11||Chandra Shekhar||(1990 – 91)|
|12||P.V. Narasimha Rao||(1991 – 96)|
|13||Atal Bihari Vajpayee||(1996; 1st time)|
|14||H.D. Deve Gowda||(1996 – 97)|
|15||Inder K. Gujral||(1997 – 98)|
|16||Atal Bihari Vajpayee||(1998 – 2004; 2nd time)|
|17||Manmohan Singh||(2004 – 14)|
|18||Narendra Modi||(2014 – )|
Similarly, it is a good idea to go through lists of other important persons, Amendments to the Constitution, Articles of the Constitution, Schedules, etc. to brush up on Static GK.
For a comprehensive list of information you might want to read up on, check out Heer Shingala’s One Stop GK Guide.
Current Affairs play a vital role in how the market behaves. If you are planning a career in the corporate world, it is essential for you to be up to date with all the happenings around the country, and the world.
Here’s a brief list of things that happened in 2019, divided by months:
- 103rd Amendment.
- First Ever Three-Way Bank Merger - Vijaya Bank, Dena Bank and Bank of Baroda.
- Bill to criminalise marital rape introduced in Lok Sabha.
- Sheikh Hasina wins third consecutive term as Bangladesh’s Prime Minister.
- ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year- Smriti Mandhana.
- GST rates reduced for 23 Goods and Services.
- Qatar will no longer be a member of OPEC.
- Two women make history, entering Sabarimala shrine.
- 5 nations assume charge as Non-Permanent Members of UN Security Council.
- Implementation of Clause 6 of Assam Accord.
- FSSAI notifies new food packaging norms.
- India scores 7.23 in 2019 Democracy Index.
- Puducherry: Single-Use Plastic banned from March 1st.
- ISRO puts Kalamsat V2 into orbit.
- Bharat Ratna Awards 2019.
- Padma Awards 2019.
- Union Budget 2019.
- Pulwama Attack and its repercussions.
- Personal Laws (Amendment) Bill.
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN), Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan Yojana (PM-SYM), a mega pension scheme for the unorganised sector.
- Vande Bharat Express, India’s first Semi-High Speed Train.
- Kisan Urja Suraksha Evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan.
- Indus Waters Treaty.
- Rishi Kumar Shukla appointed as the new CBI Director.
- Smriti Irani launches India Size project.
- India becomes the 2nd largest LPG consumer and importer.
- India tests solid fuel ducted Ramjet propelled missile.
- NASA’s Mars Rover opportunity concluded.
- 2 crore jobs created in 16 months: ESIC.
- Jet Airways Crisis.
- Pinaki Chandra Bose appointed as India’s first Lokpal.
- IDBI categorised as Private Sector Bank.
- Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan Yojana (PM-SYM).
- Gwalior: Centre for Disability Sports.
- National Common Mobility Card.
- India, US to set up 6 nuclear power plants in India.
- Mercer Quality of Living Ranking 2019.
- Wholesale Price Inflation increases.
- Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Gujarat.
- Govt exceeds disinvestment target this fiscal by 5,000 crore.
- Rs. 2 crore penalty imposed on PNB by RBI.
- General Elections 2019.
- FC5 Potato - PepsiCo sues Indian Farmers.
- India finishes fourth at Asian Athletics Championship.
- Libyan Crisis.
- Sudan Crisis.
- China bans import of plastic waste.
- TIME Magazine’s list of 100 Most Influential People.
- ‘MIND THE GAP – State of Employment in India 2019.
- India becomes YouTube’s largest market.
- E-Cigarettes May Get Banned In India.
- SpaceX launches first commercial flight: Falcon Heavy.
- Scientists use human tissue to print the world’s first 3D heart.
- Jet Airways suspends operations.
- US to end sanctions waivers for all importers of Iranian oil, India to be hit.
- Madras High Court lifts the ban on ‘Tik Tok’ App.
- 3,000-kg garbage collected from Mt. Everest.
- Modi sworn in as Prime Minister for the second term.
- Huawei Ban.
- US removes India from Currency Monitoring Watchlist.
- Annie Zaidi wins $100,000 Nine Dots Prize.
- India’s first all-woman crew flies Mi – 17 V5.
- India, Sri Lanka and Japan to develop a container terminal at Colombo.
- Standard Chartered launches Trade A1 Engine in partnership with IBM.
- Wikileaks founder Julian Assange sentenced to prison in the UK.
- Krishnamurthy Subramanian appointed as a member of Advisory Council,15th Finance Commission.
- SpaceX Dragon launch successful, heads to Space Station.
- Climate Emergency declared in England.
- India, UK to build Naval supercarrier under ‘Make in India’.
- Trump imposes stricter sanctions on Iran’s iron, steel, copper and aluminium industry.
- Singapore criminalises Fake News publishing.
- ISRO successfully launches RISAT-2B.
- India test-fires BrahMos from Su-30 fighter jet.
- Malaysia to return hundreds of tonnes of imported plastic waste.
- Jio Fiber plans launched.
- Mumbai listed among top 20 most expensive cities in Asia.
- 29 June: International Day of the Tropics.
- Lok Sabha passes J&K reservation 2019 amendment bill.
- Haryana launches ‘Jal Hi Jeevan Hai’ Scheme.
- Kerala tops NITI Aayog’s health index 2019.
- World Bank approves $147m loan to the Government of Jharkhand.
- Tech Mahindra signs contract with Airbus.
- Ireland to ban sale of petrol and diesel cars from 2030.
- India’s population to overtake China by 2027: UN Report 2019.
- GST council to introduce new GST return system.
- M Narendra Modi to meet Putin, Xi Jinping in sidelines to SCO summit.
- Imports from Pakistan declined by 92 percent in March.
- Mount Sinabung volcano erupts in Sumatra Island.
- RBI imposes 2 crore penalty on Kotak Mahindra Bank.
- Sustainable Development Goals Gender Index: India at 95.
- India and Russia sign deal to acquire anti-tank missile.
- Jal Shakti Abhiyan launched.
- Teachers Reservation Bill passed in Lok Sabha.
- One Nation One Ration Card.
- Japan resumes commercial whaling.
- Tax revenue dips in FY’19.
- India approaches 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
- Union Budget 2019 highlights presented by Finance Minister Nirmala Seetharaman.
- Jaipur, the Pink City officially becomes a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Hyundai launches India’s first fully-electric SUV.
- India raises 27.1 crore people from poverty.
- Meghalaya to have a policy for Water Conservation, first in the country to do so.
- US-India bilateral trade to reach USD 238 billion by 2025.
- Google India and Tata Trusts launch ‘Internet Saathi’ programme to empower rural women.
- Tata: India’s most valuable brand for 2019 as per Brand Finance report.
- Man Vs Wild show featuring PM Narendra Modi.
- Reliance Jio becomes India’s largest Telecom company.
- Triple Talaq bill.
- ISRO Technical Liaison Unit to be set up in Moscow.
- Innovating for Clean Air initiative launched by UK and India.
- India’s first Hyperloop planned in Maharashtra.
- Ravish Kumar wins 2019 Ramon Magsaysay Award.
- IIT Kharagpur develops technology for solid waste management.
- Indian army launches e-cars in Delhi to reduce air pollution.
- President Ram Nath Kovind receives the National Order of Merit.
- Article 370 scrapped.
- Lok Sabha Passes Commercial Surrogacy Ban Bill.
- Rajasthan Assembly passes Bills against honor killing and mob lynching.
- International Day of the World’s Indigenous People.
- Pranab Mukherjee conferred with Bharat Ratna.
- National Film Awards 2019.
- India’s forex reserves reach $430.57 bn.
- Amazon Rainforest fire.
- Special Tiger Force for Corbett Reserve.
- Mumbai ranks 45, New Delhi, 52, in safe city Index 2019.
- ISSF World Cup. Abhishek Verma bags Gold in men’s 10m air pistol.
- MeitY and Google launch ‘Build for Digital India’ programme for engineering students.
- Bangladesh signs deal with Reliance Power for 22 years of buying electricity.
- Virat Kohli: most successful test captain overseas.
- Ashok Leyland’s heavy duty trucks the first to get BS-VI certification.
- India to contribute $22 million for GFTAM (Global Fund for AIDS, TB and Malaria).
- Food Ministry bans single-use plastic products.
- PM Modi inaugurates first cross-border pipeline in South Asia.
- Jack Ma to step down as Alibaba Chairman.
- UK to extend post-study work visas for foreign students to two years.
- Water discovered on a super-Earth, making it a potentially habitable planet.
- Special session on ‘Rejuvenation of the River Ganga’ held by NMCG during India Water Week 2019 in New Delhi.
- Galo Tribe and its Ancestry.
- Government bans onion exports. Seasonal shortage results in high prices.
- Team India lifts SAFF U-18 Championship title for the first time.
- State’s gross fiscal deficit within 3%: RBI.
- NITI Aayog’s School Education Quality Index: Kerala tops.
- Fourth Industrial Revolution.
- India Economic Summit to be organised by the World Economic Forum on October 3-4, 2019 at New Delhi.
- NASA to conduct all-female spacewalk again.
- World Wildlife Day 2019.
- Section 144 lifted in Aarey.
- India to set up solar and wind projects along Indo- Pak border.
- UNICEF becomes the 1st UN organization to make transactions in cryptocurrency.
- Air India, 1st airline in the world to use Taxibot on A-320 aircraft.
- Margaret Atwood and Bernardine Evaristo share the Booker Prize 2019.
- India at 102nd position: Global Hunger Index, 2019.
- Joblessness rises to 3 years high.
- New political maps of J&K and Ladakh released.
- Madhuri Vijay wins JCB Prize for Literature 2019.
- IFFCO introduces India’s first Nanotechnology-based fertilizers for on-field trials.
- NCRB Report: Farm suicides decline.
- Amazon introduces ‘Project Zero’ in India.
- India International Trade Fair Begins.
- Ayodhya Verdict.
It might seem like a lot of reading, but it’s always a good idea to be aware of what’s happening around you.