The IIM Ahmedabad campus covers an area of 102 acres in Vastrapur, Ahmedabad. Within the campus are various facilities such as academic blocks, faculty offices, student and faculty accommodation, the Vikram Sarabhai Library, the R.J. Matthai Auditorium, the Louis Kahn Plaza, the International Management Development Centre, the Kasturbhai Lalbhai Management Development Centre, the Centre for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship, sports facilities, and several food outlets and merchandise stores.
The architectural planning of the IIM Ahmedabad campus was entrusted to the National Institute of Design (NID) in 1962. They appointed American architects Louis Kahn and B.V. Doshi for the project. Louis Kahn's design employed exposed red bricks, geometric shapes in hostels and academic blocks, and wide corridors outside classrooms. The campus is a remarkable fusion of traditional Indian and vernacular architecture with modern design elements, drawing admiration from tourists and architecture students.
The Vikram Sarabhai Library, named after the institute's founder, Vikram Sarabhai, was established in 1962. It boasts an impressive collection of over 193,000 books and provides access to more than 24,000 journals through online subscriptions. The library also offers access to 100+ digital databases covering scholarly, company, and industry information for the IIMA community. In 2016, Tata Consultancy Services contributed ₹20 crore (US$2.5 million) for the library's digital learning and collaboration initiatives. The library was recognized with the 'Award of Distinction' at the UNESCO Asia Pacific Award for Cultural Heritage Conservation in 2019.
Regarding student accommodation, the campus provides single-room lodging in 33 fully furnished dormitories. Married students have the option to reside with their families in specific hostels designated for them. Staying in the dormitories is compulsory for students, and these facilities are equipped with essential amenities like washing machines, refrigerators, and TVs.
The faculty at IIMA possess varied backgrounds and are highly sought-after experts in their respective fields. Their diverse experiences as entrepreneurs, policymakers, researchers, theoreticians, and consultants bring vibrancy and practicality to their teaching. Continuously embracing a dual role as both educators and researchers, they understand that knowledge alone holds limited impact. Instead, they emphasize the significance of an observant, reasoning, creative, and inquisitive mind, as it is the true catalyst for influencing and shaping the future.
The course fee for the PGP program at IIM Ahmedabad is approximately INR 27 lakhs for the two years.
The candidate is required to have a bachelor's degree from a recognized university in India, with a minimum of 50% marks or equivalent CGPA. However, if the candidate belongs to the Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST)/Persons with Disabilities (PwD) category, the minimum marks requirement is relaxed to 45%.
The university from which the degree is obtained should be incorporated by an act of the central or state legislature in India, or it should be an educational institution established by an act of Parliament or declared as a deemed university under section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956. Alternatively, the candidate can possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
Additionally, the bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification should involve a minimum of three years of education after completing higher secondary schooling (10+2) or its equivalent.
The Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIMA) provides various academic programs and follows specific admission processes and eligibility criteria for each program. The admission process at IIMA depends on the courses the candidates choose to apply for.
To apply for admission to the Post Graduate Program (PGP), Post Graduate Program in Food and Agribusiness Management (PGP-FaBM), Executive Post Graduate Program (ePGP), and Executive Post Graduate Diploma in Advanced Business Analytics (ePGD-ABA), candidates need to have a valid CAT (Common Admission Test) score. On the other hand, admission to the Post Graduate Program in Management for Executives (PGPX) is based exclusively on GMAT/GRE scores.
Another crucial aspect considered during the admission process is the category to which the candidates belong (GEN & EWS, NC & OBC, SC, ST, PWD & PWD (ST)). The total number of seats at IIMA is distributed among these categories, and admission is granted accordingly.
A good academic record and percentage score are also significant factors in the admission evaluation.
IIMA conducts its analytics writing test and personal interview (AWT & PI) for selected candidates in various cities such as Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata, and New Delhi.
As per government instructions, certain seats at IIMA are reserved for different categories of candidates: 27% for NC-OBC, 15% for SC, 7.5% for ST candidates, 5% for Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwD), and up to 10% for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS).
Cutoff for the Last 3 Years
The cutoff for the PGP program at IIM Ahmedabad has been at 80 percentile overall for the unreserved category. The sectional cutoff is set at 70 percentile. Please note that this is the minimum qualifying cutoff.
Scholarships are available at IIM Ahmedabad for deserving and meritorious students enrolled in the MBA program. These scholarships are granted based on different criteria, including financial need and academic performance, among others. Below are some of the scholarships offered at IIM Ahmedabad:
- Need-based Scholarships: These scholarships are intended to assist students who demonstrate financial need during their studies. The amount of the scholarship depends on the individual's specific financial circumstances.
- Merit-based Scholarships: Exceptional academic performance in either the undergraduate studies or the MBA program is the basis for these scholarships. The selection process for these scholarships is highly competitive, and only a limited number of students receive them.
- Corporate Scholarships: These scholarships are sponsored by corporations and are awarded based on the students' academic achievements and overall profile. The number of recipients and the amount of each scholarship may vary from year to year.
- Government Scholarships: IIM Ahmedabad also offers government-sponsored scholarships for students belonging to specific categories, such as SC, ST, OBC, and EWS. These scholarships may cover either full or partial tuition fees and may also provide a stipend for living expenses.
Students interested in availing themselves of these scholarships can apply during the admission process by submitting the required documents and application forms.
- In 2022, IIM Ahmedabad achieved full placement for its PGP and FABM batch.
- The highest domestic salary for the PGP placements was INR 61.48 LPA, with an average salary of INR 32.79 LPA.
- The top international salary offered was INR 1.14 CPA, while the highest domestic salary reached INR 75.2 LPA.
- Additionally, there was a significant 21% increase in the median package, which rose to INR 36.2 LPA.
IIM Ahmedabad has a distinguished alumni network. Some of the notable alumni of the institute from various fields include:
- Ajit Rangnekar is the Dean of the Indian School of Business.
- Ashish Nanda serves as the Director of the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad.
- Atul Tandon was the Director of Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad from 2001 to 2009.
- Shekhar Chaudhari is a former Director of the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta.
Arts & Social Work:
- Gaurav Dagaonkar is a Music Director, vocalist, and songwriter.
- Mallika Sarabhai is a renowned Classical Dancer and Activist, also serving as the Director of Darpana Academy in Ahmedabad.
- Ajay Singh Banga holds the position of President and Chief Executive Officer at Mastercard.
- Ashok Vemuri is the CEO of IGATE.
- Sanjeev Bikhchandani is the Founder and Executive Vice Chairman of Infoedge & naukri.com.
- Shikha Sharma is the MD and chief Executive Officer of Axis Bank.
- K. V. Kamath is the Non-executive chairman on the Board of Directors of ICICI Bank and the Lead Independent Director of Infosys. He also served as the Former Chairman of the Board of Directors of Infosys from 2011 to 1.
Government & Politics:
- Arvind Subramanian holds the position of Chief Economic Adviser in the Government of India.
- Raghuram Rajan served as the Governor of the Reserve Bank of India.
- Prem Das Rai is a Member of Parliament representing the Sikkim constituency in the 15th Lok Sabha.
On Monday, June 5, the Ministry of Education unveiled the National Institutional Ranking Framework, NIRF Rankings 2023. Once more, IIM Ahmedabad achieved the leading position in the management category. The top rank was secured by IIM Ahmedabad with an impressive score of 83.20%.
CAT Related Links
Some Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the admission process for the MBA program at IIM Ahmedabad?
Answer: The admission process for the MBA program at IIM Ahmedabad typically involves multiple stages. It includes appearing for the Common Admission Test (CAT), followed by shortlisting based on CAT scores and academic performance. Shortlisted candidates then undergo a Written Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI) round. The final selection is based on the candidate's overall performance in CAT, WAT, PI, academic background, and relevant work experience.
- How is the campus life at IIM Ahmedabad?
Answer: IIM Ahmedabad provides a vibrant and enriching campus life for its students. The institute hosts various student clubs and committees that organize academic, cultural, and sports events throughout the year. The campus offers state-of-the-art facilities, including a well-stocked library, modern classrooms, hostel accommodation, and recreational areas. Students also get opportunities to interact with industry experts through guest lectures, workshops, and seminars.
- What are the scholarship opportunities available at IIM Ahmedabad?
Answer: IIM Ahmedabad offers scholarships to deserving and meritorious students based on different criteria. Scholarships are available in various categories, such as need-based scholarships for students facing financial constraints, merit-based scholarships for outstanding academic performers, corporate scholarships sponsored by companies, and government scholarships for students belonging to specific categories like SC, ST, OBC, and EWS. The eligibility and application process for each scholarship may vary, and students can apply during the admission process or as per the scholarship guidelines provided by the institute.