News Burger – Your Weekly Prep Diet – Week #2 (February)
For MBA aspirants, Current Affairs are one of the most key components for MBA preparation.
In exams such as XAT, IIFT and SNAP, an entire section is dedicated to it in order to test your Current Affairs and General Knowledge. Furthermore, Current Affairs become an interesting topic of discussion in almost all GD-PIs, WATs/AWTs.
Therefore, we have come up with the Weekly News Burger, a curation of weekly Current Affairs which will help aspirants avoid scrambling for Current Affairs content at the end of the year when it is most important for competitive exams.
This week’s News Burger is:
- Cancer Vaccine With 97% Success Rate Invented
Stanford researchers successfully eliminated malignant tumours in mice. This is a breakthrough for research on Cancer treatment.
- India Wins 7 Golds at India Open International Boxing Tournament
Mary Kom was amongst the winners.
- Kenichiro Yoshida Takes Over From Kazuo Hirai As The CEO of Sony.
Yoshida was earlier the Executive Deputy President of Sony.
- Airbus Tests Alpha One, A Drone Taxi.
It was developed by Airbus’s Vahana Team and reached a height of 16 feet for a duration of 53 seconds.
Dubai has done something similar before, by launching a two-person seater taxi developed by the German Firm Volocopter.
- Australia’s Brisbane Airport The World’s First to Accept Bitcoins For Transaction.
It will also accept other crypto-currencies such as Dash, Steem, Litecoin and Ethereum.
- Nuclear-Capable Prithvi 2 Test-Fires Successfully.
The missile, with a range of 350 kilometres, was test-fired from the Odisha’s Chandipur.
- Bangalore To Get Electric Car Charging Stations.
Bangalore Electricity Supply Company will launch 11 stations over-all, and the first one will be launched on 15th February 2018. This will help owners of Electronic Vehicles(EV) immensely.
- PepsiCo Chairman And CEO Indra Nooyi ICC’s First Independent Female Director.
She will join the Board in June 2018.
- Crimes against Humanity Investigation Initiated By International Criminal Court against Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte for his violent war on drugs, in which 4000 people have been killed by the Philippines Police.
- Kerala Tops The List Of States In Terms of Health Performance, according to Niti Aayog’s Health Index Report.
Uttar Pradesh was the worst performer as compared to other states.
CEO of Niti Aayog Amitabh Kant released the report. The Health Index was developed with assistance from the World Bank.
- PM Modi inaugurates construction project for first ever Hindu Stone Temple in Abu Dhabi.
The temple, named Swaminarayan temple of the Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha, will be ready by 2020.
- Mumbai is World’s 12th richest city, according to the New World Wealth Report, SA.
28 billionaires live in Mumbai, and it is one the fastest growing cities in the world.
New York topped the list, followed by London in second place, Tokyo in third and San Francisco in fourth.
- Maldives Political Turmoil Described In Brief:
President Abdulla Yameen declares a 15-day state of emergency in the Maldives and has Chief Justice, judge of the Maldives Supreme Court and former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom arrested. This comes after the Supreme Court ordered the release of imprisoned opposition lawmakers, stating that their trials had not been fair.
Mohamed Nasheed and Gayoom (both former Presidents of Maldives) have requested India to intervene. India has intervened in the past and sent troops to the Maldives in 1988 to prevent a coup.
Read more about it here.
Which news material did you find the most interesting?
Post your views in the comments below!
Stay tuned for more such information every Monday!