The summer internship is undoubtedly the most exciting part of B-school life. It not only gives us corporate exposure but also gives a glimpse of what Post-MBA work life is going to be like. This summer I had the amazing opportunity of interning at Reliance Industries Limited.
Here’s my experience of interning at India’s largest private sector company.
Onboarding and Induction:
Even though it was a virtual internship, the campus engagement team made sure that the Reliance Summer Champs were taken care of and were always connected. During the first few days, we had the opportunity to discover and learn about the legacy of Reliance. We also had interactions with leaders from different business domains, which was definitely an enriching experience.
Reliance Summer Champs were treated as a part of RIL family since Day 1. The campus team organised ice-breaking sessions, all the co-interns were divided into teams and we participated in several activities together. This ensured that virtual barrier did not stop us from connecting and networking. The Campus team had planned learning sessions for us, we were given access to some amazing courses that help us develop our professional skills. The best part was that the entire learning experience was gamified, indeed at RIL- ‘Learning is fun’!
I interned with the Talent Acquisition group and got the opportunity to work on multiple projects. My project helped me learn a lot about the latest HR trends in talent acquisition, it gave me a chance to apply the theoretical concepts that I learnt in college. My project gave me a chance to interact with stakeholders within the organisation, which gave me a fresh perspective. Since Day 1, I had complete ownership of my project and constant support and guidance of a mentor. At every stage of my project, my mentor ensured that I was on the right track, clarified my doubts and made sure I was learning. My team entrusted a lot of faith in me which motivated me to work even harder. Not just my team but the leaders were also very supportive, despite their busy schedules they took out time to interact with interns and share their insights on our projects.
Reliance strongly believes in “Growth is Life”. This 8-week internship with RIL has enabled my growth and helped me grow professionally and personally. I am sure my learnings here will help me throughout my career. I consider myself extremely fortunate that I was a part of Reliance Summer Champs, the memories and learnings here will be cherished by me throughout my life.
My first advice for my juniors will be, to be confident. Most companies as a part of their placement process conduct a Group discussion or case discussion followed by a personal interview. Reading about the latest happening will help them ace both the rounds. Make sure you are well-versed with your CV and information about the company you are applying for.
Jotting down some of my learnings from my internship which will definitely help you in having a smooth internship experience:
- Be Agile and adjust to different and challenging situations
- Gain clarity: Make sure you understand your problem statement well and plan your deliverables accordingly
- Time management and effective planning: Once you have decided your deliverables, the next important step is to allocate time to each task and design a timeline. Maintaining a weekly log of tasks completed will help in ensuring that you stick to your timeline.
- Ask for feedback: Be proactive and ask your mentor for feedback and make sure you incorporate that feedback in your work.
- Networking: Can’t emphasise enough on how important networking is going to be during the internship. Interacting with co-interns and other stakeholders in the organization will help you understand your project better and will give you a fresh perspective.
- Don’t be shy to ask for help: No question is a stupid question, make sure you clarify all your doubts
- Be positive and passionate about work
- Do not restrict yourself to your project charter: Be proactive to interact with leaders and to learn more about the organization and the business segments.
Internships are going to be a great learning experience for you, be passionate about your project and most importantly enjoy the process!