Investment Banking, at some of India's top B-school campuses, is the most sought-after domains, owing to the steep learning curve and high packages offered by marquee firms. In this highly detailed interview, IIM Indore student describes the complex and thorough process that he underwent to get selected for a summer internship and finally get a PPO, with his dream finance company - Goldman Sachs. Here's how he did it!
Summary of the video:
Wondering how Goldman Sachs hires top talent? What is the complete procedure that the company follows to hire Summer Interns from India's top business schools? How many rounds of selection exist, and how do you prepare yourself for such a seemingly daunting interview process with Goldman Sachs? And finally, what are the things to keep in mind before and during the internship to get that PPO?
In this video, Awiral Gupta, a part of IIM Indore's PGP Class of 2020, describes how he made it to Goldman Sachs as a Summer Intern and finally bagged a PPO. From zeroing in on Investment Banking as a career option and describing in detail his interview experience with Goldman Sachs to expressing his ecstasy upon being selected, Awiral shares with us his unforgettable selection process. He talks about the process he followed to tailor his résumé, how he prepared for the interviews at Goldman, and how he tackled unforeseen challenges in the interview process.
For those unaware of the world of Investment Banking, Awiral also shares exactly what an Investment Banker does, and what makes it such an aspirational career choice for b-school students!
Further, Awiral shares his pre-internship prep and tells us how Goldman Sachs helped him with buddy calls and a project briefing a few days before his internship even started. He takes us through the salient points of his internship and tells us how and why he received and accepted a PPO from Goldman Sachs.
Here are a few key takeaways from Awiral's interview that all aspiring Investment Bankers must keep in mind:
1. Brush up all your accounting basics before an IB interview!
2. Build a story about WHY you’re interested in that job & company to prep for an IB interview.
3. Learn about the industry you wish to work in.
4. Key to cracking workshops - be diligent and proactive with work.
5. Consult seniors to understand the technical aspects during workshops.
6. Be professional in your interactions during the interview and shortlisting process.
7. You should be able to back up whatever you’ve mentioned in your resume.
8. If you don’t know an answer during interviews, tell them you don’t know.
9. Pick electives that can help you excel at your internship and bag a PPO at b-school.
10. Be proactive in connecting with the company before the internship.
11. You DON’T require a heavy finance background to get into IB.
12. You DON’T need work experience to get into IB.
13. Work-life balance is very subjective and depends on how you structure your work and day.