In this video, Harsh Parikh, CA, Co-Founder at DRiefcase, Ex-Director - Investment Banking at Bank Of America Merrill Lynch, IIM B alum talks about the basic skills one needs as an investment banker. He tells us why a commerce student has an advantage in a finance career after b-school. Harsh answers various questions about investment banking. He shares what hardcore skills one needs to get into a reputed IB firm.
Summary of the video
Harsh answers various questions about investment banking. He tells us just what hardcore skills one needs to get recruited into a reputed IB firm. He shares how basic financial knowledge is a must for any financial career. He shares that communication is a skill every b-school student needs to develop. He talks about networking and why it’s a very important skill to have. He suggests communicating with seniors, professors and guest lecturers at b-school and developing the ability to talk to all and sundry.
Harsh talks about skills like reading a balance sheet and an annual report being super helpful if you want to get into investment banking. He further talks about working in a sensitive sector like digital health. He tells us how anyone can shift careers and sectors. He shares how one should always develop soft skills and continue to learn throughout their careers.
If you’re wondering what it takes to become an investment banker, and just how to develop those skills while at b-school, this is a must-watch for you.
1. Getting your soft skills right in hiring is probably often what makes or breaks startups.
2. Pay attention when your HR teachers talk.
3. An important skill for you if you aspire to work in finance = the ability to read a balance sheet.
4. You need to know the fundamentals of finance for a successful investment banking career.
5. Take corporate finance and advanced corporate finance courses to get into a finance career in any b-school.