Finance Lab - The Financial Research & Trading Laboratory is a state-of-the-art facility at IIM Calcutta that allows students to get live information of major markets in the world through the Bloomberg Terminals at the lab.
IIM Calcutta, established in 1961, is the first IIM of the country. Fondly called 'Joka' by IIM-C students and alumni (after the South West locality in Kolkata where it is located), the institute is one of the most desirable B-schools for CAT aspirants. The institute has a global standing as well, ranked 49th by the Financial Times Global MBA Rankings in 2019, having moved up 25 positions since 2018. IIM Calcutta is known as the 'Finance Campus of India', due to the high popularity of BFSI roles during Final Placements season at the institute. It is the only triple-accredited management institute in India. Notable alumni of IIM Calcutta include former PepsiCo. CEO Indra Nooyi, Foodpanda founder Rohit Chaddha, Quikr Co-founder and CEO Pranay Chulet, and historian Ramchandra Guha among others. IIM Calcutta was the convener for CAT 2018.
IIM Calcutta Admission Criteria 2019 - Important Highlights
The following are the five major takeaways from IIM Calcutta's latest admission/selection criteria:
1. IIM Calcutta, one of the few IIMs that excluded graduation scores as a selection criterion, will now include candidates' Bachelor's degree marks to compute a composite score that will be used to shortlist candidates for the WAT-PI round. Graduation scores have been assigned a weight of 15%.
But here's the good news - if your graduation score is ≥ 60%, you receive full marks (15/15), while if your graduation score is ≥ 55%, you receive 10 marks.
Candidates with less than 50% marks in graduation will receive a score of 2.5 out of a maximum score of 15, which appears to be applicable only to applicants from special categories since those from General category with less than 50% marks in graduation aren't eligible to take the CAT 2019 exam.
2. The minimum sectional percentile for QA has been reduced from 80%ile to 75%ile for the Open category, while the minimum overall percentile has been reduced from 90%ile to 85%ile for the Open category. This move has perhaps been made to make it easier for non-engineers to arrive at at least the minimum CAT QA percentile required to get be considered for IIM Calcutta's PGP programme.
3. Due to the introduction of Bachelor's degree marks, IIM Calcutta's new admissions criteria see a reduction in the weight for 10th and 12th marks. In 2018, 10th and 12th marks each accounted for 20% of the criteria. In the revised selection criteria, 10th marks now have a weight of 10%, while 12th marks have a weight of 15% to calculate the composite score to shortlist candidates for the WAT-PI round.
4. There has also been a change in the 'work experience' selection criterion used to compute the composite score for the final selection of candidates for the PGP programme. In 2018, those with at least half a year of work experience were awarded points but in 2019, candidates with less than 12 months of work experience will be awarded no points. Furthermore, the maximum points for work experience have increased from 6 points to 8 points, with professionals possessing between 31-36 months of work experience being awarded the maximum marks.
5. IIM Calcutta continues to push for a more gender-diverse batch, assigning a 4% weight for gender diversity in the latest admissions criteria.
For more information click here.
1. Master Of Business Administration
Designed to train students to become excellent general managers and high-level-decision-makers with broad strategic vision, this full-time two year residential program views management as an integrated process and helps students develop a global view and respond effectively to changes in the economic, technological, cultural and political environments. Specific skills in areas such as accounting, finance, marketing, operations, and management lie at the heart of the course.
2. MBA for Executives Programme
MBA for Executives Programme is IIM Calcutta's One Year Full Time Residential Programme meant for Executives with more than five years of professional experience. IIM Calcutta is the first management institute in the country to be Triple Crowned – to be accredited by AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS, i.e., accredited by all the three major accreditation agencies in the world for management education. Only 5 other business schools in Asia and 73 business schools around the world are currently ‘Triple Accredited’.
It provides mid-career professionals the ideal platform to augment their existing skill sets as they endeavor to armour themselves for senior and top management roles in the industry.
The mission of the PGPEX-VLM is to develop future visionary leaders for the manufacturing sector in India so as to enhance the global competitiveness of our manufacturing sector.
PGPEX-VLM is a unique program that fulfills the current industry’s growing demand for techno-managerial leaders who shape the neo-industrial revolution. Laden with latest management skills and cutting-edge technology knowledge, these vanguards are being readied for meeting the challenges offered by the new wave of business enterprises that thrive on information as they strive for the "Triple Bottom line".
This one year full time residential program has a built in manufacturing focus that helps to appreciate an industry’s metamorphosis in competitive times. The course is being conducted jointly by 3 premier institutes of India viz. IIM Calcutta, IIT Kanpur and IIT Madras. The course has been designed by these institutes in consultation with industry, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade and Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
Life at B-School
Why Is IIM Calcutta A Dream B-School For Many?
For a question like this, I can almost imagine prompt answers like “the holy trinity”, “placements”, "legacy” and everything under the sun. Not that I am denying any of this,
Life Of A 100% Visually-Impaired Student At IIM Calcutta - Ritesh Agarwal
They say every story inside an IIM is a success story. Truly so. Here is the story of Ritesh Agarwal. Ritesh is currently a PGP1 student of Indian Institute of
Life Of A Studying Mother At IIM Calcutta PGPEX
Saying “Goodbye” to a beloved is always painful and I am finding it difficult to maintain my poise while writing this piece as this really sounds like a ‘farewell bell’
Interview Experiences & Prep Tips
How I Cracked The IIM Ahmedabad Interview Process - Aayush Gupta, IIM A
Imagine getting calls from IIM A, IIM B and IIM C. Wait, how? And what next? Well, if you’re lucky enough to get shortlisted for what are probably the top