COVID-19 has been and continues to be the biggest roadblock for operations/supply chain departments of almost all organizations in the world. With travel/transport bans, less on-site presence and incoming budget cuts, things are becoming difficult for managers to manage. While it's a difficult time for all, it’s an opportunity for an operations student and MBA aspirant. The COVID situation is not just a case study but also a great time to learn new skills and harness tools that will help you solve such cases in future. With colleges, WAT-GD-PI interviews and jobs appointments being postponed indefinitely, here is the chance to take up some useful online operations courses. Don’t Wait! Start learning NOW!
Are you someone who wants to stay ready for operations focused b-school, internship or job interview, once the lockdown is over? If your answer is “Yes”, then it is a good online operations course for you. It is a 3 hours course that will give a quick drive through all the basic concepts and essential topics one needs to know about operations management. The course is created by Abhishek Koul, IIM L Alum and Ex Maruti Suzuki, along with the Konversation pro team.
In whichever part of geography you are in, there are certain key aspects of business operations and lean management that are always going to be the same. However, it is crucial to know and understand these key aspects in order to be a successful operations manager in any industry. If you are an operations enthusiast or operations person, who is always keen in finding out the right methods to improve productivity, configuring supply chain or if you want to know how to address the demand on hand then the course is for you.
This is an intermediate level course, apt for an MBA student, highly knowledgeable aspirant and an operations manager new to the industry.
You will learn to:
- Identify an operations system with some known standard configurations
- Make an assessment of the complexity of an operations system
- Compute cycle times for operations and estimate capacity of the system
- Understand the various components of a supply chain and the need to configure them appropriately
Key features of the course:
- Enrollment starts from 8 April, 2020
- It’s a 7 weeks long course
- You will take 2-4 hours per week to finish this course
- You will be taught by Prof. B. Mahadevan, Operations Management, IIM Bangalore
- The course is free for learning, but if you want a verified certificate then you need to pay - ₹11,350.
In a world where there are economic (recession, or slowdown), political (trade wars), health (COVID19) and resource-related uncertainties always lurking around the corner, a supply chain risk management course is crucial for both managers and MBA students alike. From cyber-attacks and its effect on the operations, to mobility bans, this course introduces such problems and explains various strategies that can be used to reduce overall risk exposure in supply chains. Doing such a course is a must. Especially in today's time!
Key features of this course
- Contains 2 modules
- Total 12 topics
- Can be completed in 2-3 hours
Inventory Management Foundation - LinkedIn
It’s a beginner course and an introduction to inventory management. If you are an MBA aspirant, 1st year MBA student or just someone new to the operations field, this course is the right choice for you.
In this online course, instructor Steven Brown (Professor at Arizona State University) will equip you with tools and strategies to control inventory the right way. The class starts with the introduction of different types of inventories and highlights all the traditional and hidden costs of forming and maintaining an inventory.
In this course you will learn about:
- Inventory management
- Discussing reasons to hold inventory
- How to approach production inventory
- Finished goods inventory, and service inventory.
- Learn about control systems,
- Tools and management methods that will help you analyze and control inventory
- Get a certificate after completion
- Course Fee is Rs.890, but based on what it offers I think it’s worth it!
This course is exclusively for college students who have encountered operations management subjects in their undergraduate and postgraduate studies. This is like an extension (or tutorial) to what you have learned in your regular classroom. Anyone taking an APICS certification course will also find these tutorials helpful. The topics covered in this course are - forecasting, aggregate planning, master production scheduling, inventory management, material requirements planning, quality control, assembly line balancing, location planning, control charts, project planning, precedence diagrams, stopwatch time studies, and simple waiting lines. The course can be completed in 7 hours. The course has a video tutorial for each topic with at least two examples. The course costs Rs. 420, and based on what it's offering, I think it's a great steal!
To get access to the course, click here.
Six Sigma Foundations - LinkedIn
Six Sigma is a process concept that may be introduced in b-school, but the practicality of the knowledge stays throughout the journey of an operations manager's career. As the name of the course suggests, this course is a foundational course for those who want to learn and apply Six Sigma to drive improvements in the performance of processes, products, and services. You can be in any spectrum of the business, be it an intern, fresher, manager or management team and find this course still relevant to you and your work.
This course is taught by Dr. Richard Chua who is a consultant, author, professor, and certified Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt trainer.
What you will learn?
- Fundamentals of Six Sigma - a customer-focused, data-driven way to improvement.
- Intro to critical-to-quality (CTQ) requirements, variation, and defects per million opportunities (DPMO),
- Various roles and belts of Six Sigma professionals
- All the while you will keep revisiting the five phases of Six Sigma DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control) and the steps, data, and key deliverables involved in each phase.
Key features of this course
- It costs Rs. 699
- Has 8 chapters and quizzes
- Can be accessed from any smart device
- You will get a certificate
To access the course, click here.
This is a 100% online course, and the topic falls under the larger value chain management umbrella. For both MBA students and operations managers, this is an extension to the concepts they are learning or have learnt in the classroom. The course helps you understand about process improvement and how to set organizational priorities for the same.
What will you learn?
- Understand the roles of process improvement
- Align the principles to frameworks and techniques used for process improvement
- Synthesize information to make organizational initiatives and process improvement related decisions.
- Apply analytical techniques for tactical decisions in a process improvement project
Key feature Of this course
- This is a fully-accredited online course by the University of Illinois.
- Enrollment starts from 6th April, 2020.
- You can enroll for free and use the 7 days trial period to see if this course suits your needs.
- It’s a 26 hours course, which can be finished in 4 weeks, 6-8 hours per week.
- The course fee is Rs.3,617 a month. Hence, it’s advisable to finish the course as fast as you can. The faster you finish, the more money you will save.
To access this course, click here.
You may also be interested in: