In this video, Tejas Dave, Consultant - McKinsey & Co., Ex-Entrepreneur, IIM B shares the story of working as a consultant. He shares invaluable tips on the skills a consultant needs. He also takes us through the work a consultant does and the impact it makes.
Summary of the video
Tejas talks at length about consulting as a profession. He talks about how one should prepare for consulting placement interviews. He emphasizes preparing cases thoroughly. He talks about how a consultant needs to be able to articulate thoughts effectively in order to succeed.
Tejas then talks about how one needs to maintain calm during interviews. He shares how case interviews can be stressful, but one needs to be okay even under stress. He talks about being yourself during interviews and how that adds value to your profile.
Next, he talks about the importance of academics if you wish to be a consultant. He shares how academics do matter, but consulting interviews are granted based on spikes in your CV. Recruiters are looking for exceptional performances, long standing commitment and result oriented approach when scouting CVs.
He finally does some myth busting by sharing that consultants are not just advisors. They also help launching a startup, or a new arm of a business. Lastly, he talks about how a consultant’s work is measured. If you wish to know what it takes to work in consulting, this is a must watch for you.
1. Be at the top of your game as far as case interview prep is concerned.
2. Do not get stressed during interviews.
3. Consulting companies look for spikes in your resume.
4. A consultant’s job may not be limited to recommendations only. They may also be involved in launching a business.
5. A consultant is measured on the quality of his analysis and the drive to create impact.