Ownership and autonomy are the predominant features of many an internship. Especially when you’re in b-school. And interested in consulting. Aviral Saxena (IIM Lucknow) and Anne Marina (IIM Indore), both BCG PPO holders take us through their journey from preparing for interviews, to getting an internship and finally a PPO with BCG.
00:07 Why Consulting?
00:15 Was consulting a conscious choice for you?
01:01 Why consulting over other domains?
01:42 Thoughts on the perks of a consulting job.
02:13 BCG Summer placement interview process.
02:02 What is the BCG summer placement interview process?
02:38 How did you prepare for the BCG consulting internship interview?
03:18 How did you prepare for summer placements in consulting?
03:57 Moments of success
04:02 A special moment during the BCG interview.
05:10 A moment to remember during your BCG interview.
05:37 How did your family & friends react to the BCG PPO news?
06:07 Preparation before starting the internship with BCG.
06:13 Preparation after getting the summer placement offer.
06:43 What did you do between the time of summer placement and the actual internship?
07:17 How did Excel preparation help?
08:08 3 Things that got you a PPO @BCG
08:14 Your internship experience that made a BCG PPO possible
09:45 Reasons I got a PPO at BCG
10:40 Why BCG?
10:46 3 Things BCG did that impressed you to choose it?
11:38 Things you liked about BCG during your internship.
12:23 Final preparation before joining BCG.
12:29 What are you working on before joining BCG as an employee?
13:02 Things you are focusing on before joining BCG.
13:31 On spending time with family…
Summary of the video
Aviral and Anne tell us about their interest in consulting and the perks of being a consultant in this video. They share how they aspired to work with a renowned consulting company and chose BCG. They take us through the summer placement interview process and how they managed to crack it.
Annie tells us how she maintained a case journal that helped her revise cases and guesstimates prior to interviews. Aviral tells us about the case interview and HR round and why they matter. They tell us why they chose BCG and what made BCG a dream company.
They tell us about their takeaways from the internship. They tell us what they learnt from various projects during their internships and what they love about BCG. Finally, they both talk about work-life balance and how they plan to prepare before their PPO starts.
If you’re curious about what it takes to get into BCG, this is a must-watch for you.
1. You get to know the basics about various verticals needed to excel at consulting when you do an MBA.
2. You get to learn about various industries in consulting.
3. BCG expects you to participate in case interviews as well as HR interviews to gauge you as a person.
4. Case in point frameworks & Case in review secret by Victor Cheng are books on consulting you can read to prepare for interviews.
5. Keep a case interview notebook to pen down frameworks, cases and interesting observations.
6. Perform robust company research, network with professionals and decide which consulting firm suits you.
7. Express your interest in the companies you’re interviewing with.
8. Employ everyday learning to problem-solving during interviews!
9. The McKinsey way is a good book to read while preparing for a consulting internship.
10. Learn about the processes and structures of a consulting firm before you join as an intern.
11. Network with colleagues and managers before you start your internship if possible to mentally prepare for the internship.
12. Try and strengthen your knowledge about Microsoft Excel before starting your consulting internship.
13. Make meaningful connections with your team during internship.
14. Learn to manage project timelines during your internship.
15. Apply yourself and come up with initiatives and ideas that have clear objectives and help the organisation during the internship, to get a clear shot at the PPO.
16. Taking part in sales and marketing competitions can be useful to learn strategy.