Not once or twice, Abhishek Goyal wrote the CAT 6 times. After cracking IIM L, I and K in his very first CAT attempt in 2014, Abhishek decided to redo the CAT. His end goal? To get into IIM A, B or C. Having graduated from IIT Bombay and worked at Citi Group, Abhishek decided to pursue an MBA. But getting a job at Accenture Strategy as a consultant and personal issues came together to take Abhishek's focus off his IIM dream. And yet he persisted. He kept preparing for and writing the CAT till 2019, when he finally scored 99.8 percentile and converted calls from IIM A and B and is currently waitlisted at IIM C. Phew! Check out what strategies Abhishek used to bell the CAT in 2019. Find out some general mistakes CAT aspirants are likely to make that affect overall percentile and hence their chance at getting into an IIM or the top Indian b-schools in this video.
We at InsideIIM have launched our one-on-one career guidance and mentorship program, 'Kounsel'. For a fee, you get 100% attention from your chosen mentor. They will answer your toughest questions, quell your deepest fears, and channel your strongest ambitions. Our opening list of mentors has some of the most adored, engaged, and viewed speakers on our platform. You can pick a mentor that aligns not just with your future self but also with your past one. Click here to know more: https://bit.ly/2ZAJdKz
In this video, Abhishek takes us through his various CAT Prep strategies, especially his sectional and mock practices. Abhishek shares how Verbal was his weak point and how he struggled with it. He talks about learning from mentors and reading on a diverse variety of subjects in order to better perform in the reading comprehension section. He talks about reading editorials in the Hindu, Livemint, etc.
Next, he shares how he mastered the shortcuts, formulae, and concepts to perform well in the DI-LR and Quant sections respectively. He talks about preparing and learning CAT concepts and writing mocks simultaneously in order to analyse his performance better. He shares how he tried to attempt too many questions and ended up scoring low in one of his attempts. Finally, he shares how one needs to focus on preparing concepts thoroughly, not just collecting as many mocks and prep material as possible. If you want to know what it takes to crack India's top b-schools multiple times, check out this video.
Check out some of Abhishek's work as a rapper and YouTuber here: https://youtu.be/FFrZq23yps0 and here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHxOb7OVbwFS0LkK5Bjy6xw. If you want to connect with him on LinkedIn, find his profile here: http://linkedin.com/in/abhishek-goyal-31a22258
- Whether you attend IIM A, B, C, or the other b-schools, you stand to gain a lot. So consider yourself lucky if you convert any of the top b-schools in India.
- It's the effort you put into your prep that matters.
- Having a goal for your final CAT score will help your CAT prep immensely.
- You can prepare for reading comprehension by reading editorials and noting down what you understood.
- Learn the best practices and techniques required to crack the DI-LR section first.
- There are specific tables, formulae, and a language around DI-LR that you need to be familiar with to crack the section.
- Learn your basics and then write mocks to analyse your performance.
- There's no need to collect every available guide and material on CAT. Your focus needs to be on goal-oriented, strategic CAT prep instead.
- Instead of solving every mock test on the same topic, it's smarter to solve a variety of topics through various sectional mocks.
- One strategy can be to expose yourself to as many questions as possible that may appear in CAT and analyse your results.
- Figure out a CAT strategy that works for you, don't just rely on others' recommendations.
If you don't want to miss any of our videos, all you need to do is join us on WhatsApp. Click here to join - http://bit.ly/Whatsapp_Updates
You can also watch:
1) Strategy Which Got Me 99.91 Percentile In CAT, Ft. Ananta Chhajer, IIM A
2) How I Cracked CAT 2019 In 3 Months With Self Preparation | Siddhant Jain, 99.44 Percentile
3) How I Scored 100 Percentile In CAT 2019 | Ft. Rishi Mittal
4) How I Scored 99.96 Percentile In My First Attempt - Riya Parwani, FMS Delhi