Riya Chhabra has a very unusual career journey, which begins with her choosing BA over the other streams, because she was interested in advertising and journalism. From a BA from Delhi University, she moved to the Indian Institute of Mass Communication, where she did her Post Graduate Diploma in PR and Advertising. During this time, she had launched her own startup, which unfortunately tanked within 6 months.
By this time, she realised that her career journey had been quite unusual, and she would find it difficult to get a good job. She tried her hand at MBA, but a poor GMAT score meant that path was blocked, at least for the time being. Knowing she had to make it, she took the help of one of her professors, and sent out personalised emails to a whopping 300 professionals, in her attempt to land a job. It was this unusual, yet effort intensive move that landed her a job with JP Morgan.
After spending a few years with JP Morgan, she left the giant to join a relatively unknown social enterprise, Milaap. It was during this stint, where she tried her hand at an MBA again. This time, she managed to score a 740 in GMAT, and landed in INSEAD. In this video, she talks about her unusual career journey, and how it shaped her as a better professional. Luck plays a role in your career, but you have to make the effort to increase the probability of that luck working in your favour. Riya’s strange yet inspiring journey will come as a breath of fresh air to all of you who are just starting out your career journeys. You don’t want to miss this one!
This is a new series of talks that we are doing amidst the coronavirus pandemic. Despite the lockdowns and the curfews, we are making all the efforts to ensure that you keep getting insightful and relevant content. So sit back and make the most of your social distancing with this episode of ‘Konversations in Quarantine'!
1) You need to learn how to engage with people across the board with varying levels of seniority.
2) You need to acquaint yourself with the language of the industry you want to build a career in.
3) Most people don’t talk of their failures. If you have failed at something, know that you aren’t alone.
4) You need to make a real effort to increase the probability of your luck working out in your favour.
Take CAT tips from the CAT master - ARKS Srinivas. Enroll for the Masterclass Prime series now. https://bit.ly/MasterclassPrime
If you don't want to miss any of our videos, all you need to do is join us on WhatsApp. Click here to join - https://bit.ly/_whatsappupdates
Here's what we recommend to you:
1) How I Made It To IIM Bangalore After A Life Changing Personal Interview
2) Shubham's IIM Lucknow Interview Experience | Tips By IIM-L Students To Crack Your Interviews Part 4
3) How I Got Into XLRI Acing My Personal Interview, Ft. Ashish Gangal, XLRI Jamshedpur
4) CAT 99.25 Percentiler's Unique IIM Kozhikode Interview Experience | IIM Interview Re-Enactment