Preparing for marketing internship interviews? For a marketing manager or a marketer, knowing marketing basics in not the only requirement though. In this ever-changing world, you also need to be on top of your game and be aware of all that is happening around you. Basically, you need to have an eye out on what’s happening in the world at large too! Let’s find out how you can keep up with the pulse of the marketing universe.
Let us divide this into two parts -
- Things You Need To Know
- How You Can Get To Know (The best resources)
Things You Need To Know
1. The latest successful marketing campaigns - This is extremely important! This is because what kind of campaigns are receiving a positive response gives you the latest pulse of the consumer. The pulse keeps on changing with other events like a major sports tournament, some disaster, some latest report or ranking. Hence, the success of other campaigns gives you an idea on what is the overriding sentiment in the market.For example, the latest Vicks campaign on transgender mothers has received appreciation worldwide. This tells us that people are becoming more aware of issues pertaining to discrimination on any basis - gender, caste, race etc. The documentary on Feminism starring Deepika Padukone was another such example. Hence you absolutely HAVE to be up to date with the campaigns across companies.
2. The latest academic updates - there are studies and research projects which go on in every major institute in the world. They might be theoretical in nature but knowing even one or two of these updates would give you additional points to talk about and concepts to discuss. Please remember, any effective practical implementation is based on strong theory. The latest updates in academics are about how can we update the ways we carry out Market Research and also about how can one effectively use Glassdoor or Linkedin to create a positive attitude towards a company’s work culture.
3. Another very important concept to be studied depending on the company you aspire to work with - Digital Marketing and E-Commerce as a channel.
The Best Resources You Can Use
Moving on to the websites or resources that you need to refer to on a regular basis, these are my top priorities as you cannot really keep in touch with everything. Make sure you have a look at all of these and choose the ones you want to follow depending on your comfort and context -
- Kotler - this book is the Bible for you. There is a European edition which has all examples from the European and American markets, this is the one I use as it is prescribed by my institute. I have often heard that there is an Indian edition as well. Whatever the edition might be, Kotler is your Bible. You need to refer to it time and again in your prep.
- Mad Over Marketing - this is my favorite Facebook page for ad campaigns. They have a superb collection not only from India but even from abroad. This will help you keep in touch with what is happening in campaigns across companies and countries
- American Marketing Association - they have a monthly collection of marketing news which ranges from academics to application. This is one wholesome website you can stick to. Effectively these top 3 should be enough, but for other inputs, you can have a look at the others below.
- Marketing Week - this is another website which summarizes and organizes content into a user-friendly manner.
- Economic Times Brand Equity - This website offers all the marketing news at one place - from changes in Marketing managers of top companies to other regulations like GST. This can be the go-to website for current affairs.
- Adage - This website is on the periphery of Marketing and Advertising. You will need to filter out the content and make sure you read what is contextual to your prep.
- Forbes Sales and Marketing - I admire the quality of Forbes and that is why I keep an eye on this website. Not completely contextual for prep but great for current affairs.
- Afaqs - this website provides a healthy mix of articles as they have a lot of guest articles. You can find listicles like 10 best ads in India and other such concepts on this website even if they are not the latest. I like this website because it ensures you have background knowledge as well.
So these are the latest updates in the field and the sources where you can go to for being at the top of your game. Do remember, current affairs and static affairs go hand in hand. You need to keep both your basics and current knowledge strong.
Find here a compilation of links and resources that you can go through at your leisure. These give a sneak peek into the minds of marketers, as well as the functions they perform. These articles and series can be found on InsideIIM.com.
I hope this compilation of resources helps you crack your dream marketing internship interview.
Interested in brushing up on marketing concepts and getting a peak into what recruiters value during internship interviews? Check out this short course that will help you prepare holistically for you marketing internship interviews.
Lots of luck!