We have already seen the FMCG, Technology and E-Commerce alumni figures at the older 6 IIMs here. Let's do a similar analysis for other top schools in India. The 2012 report can be found here. (HKUST MBA has been excluded from this analysis as it would not make sense to compare a foreign school's alumni in an Indian context)
(Note : There will be slight numerical discrepancies in the part 1 of the report with parts 2 and 3. It is because the reports are created from different sources within LinkedIn. The objective of this exercise is to study a trend and not to get exact figures.)
Let’s start with FMCG. We have taken 20 companies instead of 15 that we took last year. Let’s jump to the numbers straight away. Please note that since NO FILTER was done for functions in the company, the numbers below include alumni in Sales & Marketing, Operations, IT, Corporate Finance, HR, Others.
Disclaimer : It is user generated data. We cannot vouch for 100% accuracy. But it gives a very clear trend. The numbers below do not include most Class of 2013 graduates as they have not started work/not updated their LinkedIn profiles yet.
1) ISB is a weak FMCG campus and lends more support to the theory that FMCG companies like to catch them young. Professionals hoping to switch to FMCG/Marketing post-MBA after more than 3 years of work experience need to know that it is going to be tough.
2) 65 of the 314 professionals from XLRI above are from the HR domain. Our experience tells us that the number could be considerably more than 65. Aspirants should be advised that traditionally placements at XLRI for the HR programme are better than the placements for the BM programme.
3) SPJIMR is the real star in this group. There are alumni across companies. SPJIMR is not as old as FMS or JBIMS and neither has SPJIMR's batch size been more than 180 until recently. However, as we have seen repeatedly in all kinds of reports, SPJIMR has a loyal set of companies that keep recruiting from that campus. Numbers in a company like P&G are outstanding. (Most of the alumni are in operations/IT)
4) FMS and JBIMS have a strong legacy and always seem to have good number of FMCG companies visiting their campuses. But alumni numbers are not very impressive especially for JBIMS. XLRI and SPJIMR have done better with a similar batch size over the years. Based on the experience of IIM Lucknow, it would not be very audacious to predict that IIM I and IIM K will also eventually start doing better than FMS and JBIMS at FMCG in numerical terms. This is also aided by the fact that both these IIMs will have bigger batches. By 2018, we predict that alumni in FMCG companies from IIM I and IIM K would be double than those from JBIMS and more than those from FMS.
5) Given that COO of Unilever and CEO of HUL are from JBIMS, the number of alumni from JBIMS at HUL is quite low.
Looking at some other schools in India not covered by us (yet), we see the following noteworthy figures for specific FMCG companies. Of course, no filters were done for profiles or designation.
- NITIE Mumbai - P & G - 71 Alumni - Most of them, Purchase & Supply Chain managers - Outstanding number
- NMIMS Mumbai - Unilever - 39 Alumni - Number in the same range as FMS, SPJIMR and greater than IIM I & K
- NITIE Mumbai - Unilever - 34 Alumni - Number in the same range as FMS, SPJIMR and greater than IIM I & K
- SIBM/SCMHRD/Other Symbiosis Schools - Unilever - 23 Alumni - Number is greater than both IIM I & K
- IIFT Delhi - Unilever - 18 Alumni - Number is greater than both IIM I & K
Let us look at the other important sectors now. Rock star technology and e-commerce names will increasingly dominate placement reports. Electronics and Telecom companies are always important and hiring numbers are steady as they are for FMCG and General Management roles. We listed 15 companies to be analyzed.
Please note that since NO FILTER was done for functions in the company, the numbers below include alumni in Sales & Marketing, Operations, IT, Corporate Finance, HR, Others.
Disclaimer : It is user generated data. We cannot vouch for 100% accuracy. But it gives a very clear trend. The numbers below include professionals who could have done short courses. The numbers below do not include most Class of 2013 graduates as they have not started work/not updated their LinkedIn profiles yet.
1) The story changes completely for ISB when one looks at numbers here. ISB literally owns Google with most business schools in India not even having half the alumni of ISB at Google (IIM C has 36). In general, the performance is exceptional at Google, Microsoft, Amazon.
2) SPJIMR surprises again and trumps IIMs K,I and also FMS and JBIMS.
3) It is interesting to note XLRI's dominance at Nokia.
4) In general, FMS seems to do well at companies headquartered in the NCR region whether it is Airtel here or Reckitt Benckiser and Pepsi in the FMCG table.
Looking at some other schools in India not covered by us (yet), we see the following noteworthy figures for specific companies from the list above companies. Of course, no filters were done for profiles or designation.
- SIBM/SCMHRD/Other Symbiosis Schools has 36 alumni at Microsoft
- NMIMS Mumbai has 30 alumni at Microsoft
(Some of the alumni from these two schools are quite senior at Microsoft. A lot of alumni from Symbiosis are in the HR function.)
- Symbiosis International University (SIBM Pune is a part of that) has 74 alumni at Airtel
- NMIMS Mumbai has 59 alumni at Airtel
- MDI Gurgaon has 52 alumni at Airtel
- IIFT Delhi has 36 alumni at Airtel
(Please note that not all of the above numbers reflect alumni recruited via the coveted Bharti YLP at Airtel.)
You may also like to Read :